RIP Willow & babies :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awe Jennifer I am so sorry for your loss... that is really sad.

Granted you did not have the funds for the vet, but you know, I can only think of what may have been her outcome if she had been left with the previous owner.

RIP Sweet Willow/BeeBees.

Just out of curiousity, how much was your vet charging you for the operation?

Last edited:
I did have funds for the vet. Albeit, I didn't have the $2000+ the vet wanted for the c-section. And the vets here do not take credit. I was told that the outcome was not good due to the high level of infection. The one kit blocking the vaginal entrance had supposedly been dead for some time. The second kit passed prior to euthanizing her. Based on all the facts and information provided, I chose to euthanize. It was not an easy decision.

I don't think it is fair for people to be expected to put themselves in a huge amount of debt...especially in today's economy. It just isn't realistic.
Vet costs in Canada are WAY more than the US. Had the surgery been $600, it would have been done. But the $600 I had didn't even scrape the surface of the $2000 it would have cost.

Willow had a good life here. I took great care of her. In the end, she left this world humanely. Who is to say she would have (died humanely) in the hands of the previous owner? Owners who let her breedback twice; owners who fed her corn based no name small rodent pellets and had her housed on cedar. Owners who let mould grow in the water bottle.

Awe Jennifer I am so sorry for your loss... that is really sad.

Granted you did not have the funds for the vet, but you know, I can only think of what may have been her outcome if she had been left with the previous owner.

RIP Sweet Willow/BeeBees.

Just out of curiousity, how much was your vet charging you for the operation?

I'm sorry you lost Willow and her babies. :( That's a hard situation.

Sorry for your loss. I don't know the circumstances at all but what I am reading here...however wanted to say that every vet charges differently. If I go to a vet in the same town as me, I am charged $2000 (some suggested more when I phoned around!) for a c section. If I drive 45 min. - 1 hour away from here, I can get a c section for $832.00 and it is done by a vet who has done many successful surgeries for my chins in the past 14 years.

I have paid that $832.00 c section bill in the past. One time about 5 or so years ago, I had two $832.00 vet bills to pay in one month for two c sections on two different girls (it was a really bad month for me financially!). Whether you are breeding or rescuing or simply a pet owner, vet bills that high, are expected sometimes.
You might consider looking around either in your own town or neighboring towns for a knowledgeable vet who is not too pricey for surgeries, if you continue to rescue chinchillas. Just a thought and again, sorry for your loss.

I had edited the post but for some reason did not work.

anyhow
Jennifer, I know you took good care of her. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I am not judging you AT ALL.

I just wanted to say that I can only imagine if you had not taken her in, what would have been her outcome with the previous owner.
Would she have been put down humainly or suffer till death.

I had mentionned the funds but wanted it out because, I know how much it cost up here for vet's especially in a more rural part of the country.

sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Nope. I don't feel judged by you at all. I know what you meant.

:)

I had edited the post but for some reason did not work.

anyhow
Jennifer, I know you took good care of her. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I am not judging you AT ALL.

I just wanted to say that I can only imagine if you had not taken her in, what would have been her outcome with the previous owner.
Would she have been put down humainly or suffer till death.

I had mentionned the funds but wanted it out because, I know how much it cost up here for vet's especially in a more rural part of the country.

sorry again for the misunderstanding.

I'm sorry she wasn't given a chance to prove the vet wrong. I've seen many animals come out of septic pregnancies and thrive, it's just to bad Willow wasn't given that chance. RIP.

Back