"semenal" plug?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamszoo

Love Cats
Can male chins have a semen plug? I pulled a "whitish" plug off Scamps tonite. I've never seen this before and now he has me worried. He is fine otherwise. Thoughts??

Do you mean he had semen on the outside of his penis or that it extended from his penile opening (urethra)?

Urethral plugs are associated with rats but I know a male chin who had one - it caused complete blockage of his urethra & he could not pass urine. It is often thought to be associated with inability to clean themselves properly during illness or infection etc.

You need to check the male is passing urine & be very, very careful if you pick him up - it is possible for the bladder to rupture if it is full & the plug is blocking the urethra.

A couple of references of this in rats:

This is an excellent resource.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B82X3-4PPDGT3-C&_user=10&_coverDate=07%2F31%2F2007&_rdoc=1&_fmt=high&_orig=search&_sort=d&_docanchor=&view=c&_searchStrId=1276190296&_rerunOrigin=google&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=66155e51b6dd4c38eba5313067b1edd8

Last edited:
What Claire said is why I asked about the teeth, the male malo chins I had needed to be checked frequently for cleanliness, I had one whose penis was sticky with a waxey like substance I assumed was semen and got stuck to his chest hair. I check male malo chins at least once a week and more if the chin has had a problem. If this is the toothless chin he may be having problems cleaning the penis.

wow........thank you for this thread. i am going to be more diligent with checking richie. he comes out of the cage at least 2 times a day, so i will make sure i check his belly & male parts to make sure there isnt anything stuck down there. i never even thought of that. i guess wiping it with a warm damp cloth would be best to make sure it is clean???

When it got stuck on his chest the stuff was like super glue and the fur had to be cut to remove it then the penis was soaked in warm water and the substance gently teased off. Other less dramatic times I just cleaned it with warm water.

yeah Scamps is the one with no back teeth, although some have started to regrow as of his last vet visit.
The plug was coming directly out of the penis. He is ,as of this am, completely back to normal. I put a clean white fleece in with him and he is definately peeing.
Thanks for all the help!

Back