Chinchilla is barely chewing on toys

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoChins

Ive had my chinchilla for a little over a month and in that span of time I got a small mosaic chinchilla. The chinchilla came from a certified breeder, but my older chinchilla came from sketchy people on kijiji. I noticed that my older chinchilla has wierd behaviours compared to my new mosaic chinchilla. My mosaic chinchilla chews hos woods like crazy and im left with a pile of wood in my mosaic chins cage. I realized that my older chinchilla is barely chewing on the wood compared to my newer chin. Im freaking out because his jaw is slightly lifted but he is drinking and eating his hay and pellets just fine (either than the fact that he crumbles his food). Im very concerned because hes very strange compared to my newest chinchilla. Ive never came down to my older chinchillas cage and see any wood shavings in his cage but their is bite marks on things, so hes might be eating it. Should I be taking him to the vet? Has anyone else encountered this?

Some chins are more lazy chewers then others. Have you tried different kinds of wood and chews? Chins do have individual preferences, and there is a whole list of different kinds of wood you can buy to see what he likes. Also different kinds of chew toys as well, bamboo, vine, lava rock, etc.

If you are concerned, especially since he came from as you said "sketchy people" I'd take him to the vet just to get checked over. If nothing else for peace of mind to find out if anything is wrong or not. Not chewing on toys is a sign of a possible issue with his front teeth, he can still eat and chew pellets and hay with his back teeth. Can you take a look at his front teeth yourself to see if they are maybe over grown or anything?

Yeah I got my chin from a neglected home and immediately had her checked out. Chins do have preferences on wood. For example, Roo, and most chins, loves willow. apple orchard is her least favorite. Many chins like willow cuz its a sweeter wood but you can try pine, bamboo, pumice stones etc.

Some chins are more lazy chewers then others. Have you tried different kinds of wood and chews? Chins do have individual preferences, and there is a whole list of different kinds of wood you can buy to see what he likes. Also different kinds of chew toys as well, bamboo, vine, lava rock, etc.

If you are concerned, especially since he came from as you said "sketchy people" I'd take him to the vet just to get checked over. If nothing else for peace of mind to find out if anything is wrong or not. Not chewing on toys is a sign of a possible issue with his front teeth, he can still eat and chew pellets and hay with his back teeth. Can you take a look at his front teeth yourself to see if they are maybe over grown or anything?

When you said chinchillas can eat vine what do you mean by that? I bought roo a new toy but I realized that it didn't say what type of wood it was. It says its a vine ball but i have no clue if i should give it to her.

What does overgrown teeth look like? Cause I dont know whats average size. How would I know if his teeth are overgrown?

When you said chinchillas can eat vine what do you mean by that? I bought roo a new toy but I realized that it didn't say what type of wood it was. It says its a vine ball but i have no clue if i should give it to her.

Vine for chins can be willow vine or grape vine. Most commonly use in toys is willow vine and just labeled as "vine".

What does overgrown teeth look like? Cause I dont know whats average size. How would I know if his teeth are overgrown?

Well if you look at the front teeth they should be about 1/2" or less I would say, I never really thought to measure them. You'll notice if they chin can't close it's mouth, the teeth don't meet in a straight line and instead are crooked or curved.

Yeah I got my chin from a neglected home and immediately had her checked out. Chins do have preferences on wood. For example, Roo, and most chins, loves willow. apple orchard is her least favorite. Many chins like willow cuz its a sweeter wood but you can try pine, bamboo, pumice stones etc.

These are the things which are coming and making the effects

Back