Ferret Nation question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zahrii

I plan on using a double FN cage for my future two chinchillas. For my main edits to the cage, I'll be removing the floor to the first level and replacing it with a metal pan with tile inside, removing the first floor shelf, removing the second level floor, and keeping the second floor shelf and putting a fleece liner on/around it. I will also be adding multiple wooden ledges. One 10 x 6 inch, one 16 x 8 inch, four 4.5 x 6 inch, and four 2.5 x 6 inch. So ten ledges in total. Most of them will be in a stair-like formation, leading up to other ledges/items. However, will the second level floor not being there be a safety hazard?

Last edited:
If you aren't going to have the second level, then I would add hammocks throughout so they have something soft to land on in case they fall.

Should I leave in the second floor or stay with the idea of removing it but adding hammocks? I don't mind doing either idea, but cost is also a big factor in this so a second opinion would be appreciated.

I would leave the second floor in until you can afford to over lap everything, either with hammocks or shelves. You want to make sure they can't fall more then a foot. If you look at my cage, I removed the middle, but replaced it with two 3 foot long 2x8 boards, and have a hammock, as well as shelves under it, so a fall isn't far.

Even if you chins aren't clumsy, I've actually seen my guys push each other off shelves!

Alright thanks, I'll do that. Even when I can afford to overlap everything, would it be worth it? Would the chins get confused by the new layout?

Back