How to Make Shelves - With Photos

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just finished making 6 of them =) my hanger bolts didn't have sharp ends, so I had to buy a drill but it wasn't too bad. Thanks for the directions!

Hello.
I have a question. What's the washers' internal diameter? Does it have to fit tightly to the screw? Or can it be a bit lose, as long as it doesn't go through the wing nut? Won't that affect stability?

Thanks

My ledges seem to slant down.

It's 8 inches long and I used two screws on the back to attach it, just like the pictures.

I have a critter nation. Would using a larger washer help???

If the washer doesn't go through the wingnut it should be fitting tightly on the hanger bolt because the wing nuts are not much bigger. You wouldn't want it resting on the "wings" rather than the base of the nut.

Depending on the width an 8" shelf might do better with an extra hanger bolt especially on a critter nation that has weaker bars than a ferret nation. Make sure your washers are big enough to span the bars and tighten it down really well. Someone suggested backing the washer with an unwanted CD but I tried that on a natural wood bird perch I gave them to chew on and it just cracked the cd after a month of wiggling around. Then the whole thing fell in the cage because the washer it came with wasn't big enough for ferret nation bar spacing.

The washer fits, I just meant that maybe a larger one would help since it would cover more bar space that way.

I lined up the bolts with the vertical bar and it's sturdier. So I'll just need to be careful how I line them up now.

shelves

I have 2 critter nation cages split into 2 cages each. I have made all my own shelves and I can tell you , I got a hanger bolt driver tool that fits on my cordless screwwdriver or drill. It made installing the hangers bolts a breeze! I got it online for 7 dollars. Best money I ever spent! lol I have 6 shelves of varying sizes
in each cage and it was so much easier to do.

Could you have possibly put the screws in at an angle?

I have a FN and have one shelf that runs from side to side (left to right if you are looking into the cage). I also have a couple that are probably 8 or more inches and none seem to be a problem. Obviously on bigger ones you are going to want to use additional hardware.

Does the pine needs to be white?
And are there any other kind of woods beside pine and poplar?

What wood is everyone using?
I'm thinking to order some poplar timber boards as I can't find this white pine anywhere! Everyone says b&q, wickes etc should sell but that's actually redwood pine or spruce.

Hi, I've tried making ledges for my chins before but I haven't put them in the cage yet because I don't trust the wood. According to others, Lowe's and Home Depot has KD pine (I purchased whitewood from Lowe's and according to the employee there it is KD pine). Where do you get your safe wood?
Thanks.

Back