Hello!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CocoBebo

Today, rather suddenly, a chinchilla came into my life! I got my new little friend from a rescue and would just like some good advice in general for him. I know that they can't get too hot and am waiting for a pair of chilling stones to arrive in the mail. I know that they can't get wet, but am seeing conflicting things about how often and how much dust to give them for a bath. I think I have his diet figured out. Hay, pellets, and a mixture of leafy greens and fruits littered in. I'm not sure what kind of toys they like to play with but I bought him an edible house. Bedding for the more in Aspen but I would like to switch over to a paper bedding after this bag is gone, but I don't know if that is better or not for my little fury friend and would like to find out before making the change. Honestly any advice or tips would be great as I have no idea what I've gotten myself into, just that he is a sweetheart and I want to take good care of him and make him happy.

We named him Deku (My Hero Academia reference for those who don't watch anime).

Attachments

• 59852888_382823605645662_5583793931063132160_n.jpg
    59852888_382823605645662_5583793931063132160_n.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 3
What fruits are you feeding him and what is his edible house made out of? Chinchillas really shouldn’t have much sugar in their diet so most fruit is bad. Do you know what the edible house is made of? I know pet stores sell these “snack shack” homes for pets but those are not chinchillas safe either.

The cooling stones do not replace an AC, they are for additional cooling in an already cool room. The temp needs to stay below 70F and humidity ideally around 40% or less.

Dust baths should be given about 2-3 times a week depending on humidity and how greasy your chin looks. About an inch deep in a container is good.

Leafy greens and fruits are both bad, they aren't designed to eat those things and they will cause a lot of health issues including diarrhea, bloat, gut stasis, diabetes, seizures, and liver and kidney failure. Chins just need a good quality pellet only food and unlimited hay. Also no seeds, nuts, fruits, vegetables, or animal products (eggs, bone, hide, meat, milk, etc).

Unless you mean "edible" as in a wood or hay hut then it's likely not safe. Most edible houses are made of sawdust and honey which is way too much sugar for a chin to handle. For toys it's best to get a variety of toss and hanging toys. So shedding toys like bamboo shredders, chew toys like wood blocks and vine shapes, sea grass shapes, lava chews, and lava ledges, are some examples.

Paper bedding is also no good, it expands when wet which is exactly what happens when swallowed, causing a blockage in the gut. The only safe bedding are kiln dried pine or aspen or you can use fleece liners if your chin doesn't chew fleece.

Back