Unusual dry poops

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hana

Hi
My one of chins has been pooping very dry looking.
He eats and drinks well like same as before.
I give him oxbow pellets, timothy hay and no treat.
His poops are getting better after I gave a acidophilus for two days (one each days), gas relief twice a day for three days, but now stopped it to see how it goes since the amount of poops are very good and didn’t want to keep giving them.
I give him tummy massage every night.
I started adding small amount of oat hay from oxbow.
2 nights ago I gave a piece of goji berry.

When play time, he poops a lot more than before, his fresh ones look good, some are slightly cracked, but not hard.

I don’t know if I keep giving a acidophilus and gas relief.
I attached the pics of them that I took it this morning.
They are all dry looking.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 0EE4E3E1-334F-40A2-B91A-A0E09F3314C0.jpeg
    0EE4E3E1-334F-40A2-B91A-A0E09F3314C0.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 6
  • C8A04A03-90C1-4B22-AE53-578D4C432557.jpeg
    C8A04A03-90C1-4B22-AE53-578D4C432557.jpeg
    16.4 KB · Views: 6
They do look kinda shriveled, maybe a little pinched at the ends if I really am looking for it. Chin poop should not be moist, it should be dry to the touch, but shouldn't be dry to the point of cracking either though.

Have you gone to the vet to get his checked out? There could be something causing the chin to be a bit constipated if they are really dry (the longer the poop stays in the more moisture is pulled out of them). Extra dried out poop can also be a sign of dehydration. Either way you can't just keep giving him medicine forever, you need to find out why he is having digestive issues. Since he got better with probiotics and gas drops, but then went back to overly dry when stopped, either you need to do them for a bit longer then a couple days or there is something else going on.

Thank you for the information.🙂 I haven’t visited to the vet for this, because they didn’t know anything about chins when I went there for another chin before.

Back