Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > News & Questions > News & Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

News & Questions Check for important information and post general questions about the forum and its operation here.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:18 AM United States

examine Driving Away New Members

I definitely understand taking precautions to keep spammers out, but (and this is just my opinion) I feel like you (the site leaders) are being too cautious and potentially driving off new members who want to be an active part of this community.

I still have my posts being moderated. I get having that feature active for new members until X posts, but if you're going to have that then there really should be someone moderating those posts at least every other day. I have a post that has been awaiting moderation for the better part of a week. It's to the point that I'm starting to question if I should just give up on this site, because it's taking forever to get out of the New Member section with moderated posts.

I am not bad-talking the site, or the site leaders. I am expressing a frustration that I personally feel, and that I do not doubt others have probably felt and potentially left the site because of it.

I am getting two new chinchillas in 10 days (I am posting this on Thanksgiving, so December 6th will be the day I pick them up). All I want to do is talk about my cage, my cage setup, and my chinchillas. I don't have a solution to this frustration, because the only solutions I can think of are:

A) Do not moderate posts - this "solution" would pretty much open the floodgates for spammers though.. and;

B) Have someone (or multiple people) moderate all posts on a set schedule (e.g. Every Monday and Thursday posts will be moderated), and make sure that's stickied somewhere for new members to be aware of - this "solution" is something that is dependent on the schedule of the site leaders though, and I would think that if they were already able to do that then they would be doing that.

The only alternative solution I can come up with would be to add a couple more Moderators that can be on twice a week to cover the moderation queue(s).

I hope I haven't offended anyone with this post. I promise I am not out to point fingers, and get all of the members to gather pitchforks and raze the site to the ground. The existing members probably won't see any of this anyway. The new members are the only ones really affected by this, and if it's too difficult to be a new member they will just go somewhere else, and I (personally) feel like it is rather difficult for new members since there isn't really a set "timely" moderation of posts.

Thank you for your time everyone.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:27 AM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

It's a computer program. Sometimes it glitches and people don't get taken out of moderation until 10 posts. The simple thing would have been to just pm me and I could have fixed that for you. I am happy to do that for anyone who has contributed a few posts so we know they are not spammers. Waking up one morning to buttholes all over the forum, and I mean human buttholes, made us put the filter in place. We had no choice.

As far as a set schedule for moderating posts. I work a full and a 3/4 time job, go to school full-time, and take care of around 300 animals. I personally check most days at least once from work, when I get home before I start my next job, when I get home from that. That's the best I can do.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunes View Post
It's a computer program. Sometimes it glitches and people don't get taken out of moderation until 10 posts. The simple thing would have been to just pm me and I could have fixed that for you. I am happy to do that for anyone who has contributed a few posts so we know they are not spammers. Waking up one morning to buttholes all over the forum, and I mean human buttholes, made us put the filter in place. We had no choice.

As far as a set schedule for moderating posts. I work a full and a 3/4 time job, go to school full-time, and take care of around 300 animals. I personally check most days at least once from work, when I get home before I start my next job, when I get home from that. That's the best I can do.

Happy Thanksgiving.
I apologize for not PM'ing you first. I wasn't sure who would be the go-to moderator/admin to PM, and I did PM a couple of them. I completely understand the need for filters, but without knowing there was a specific person to PM for posts still awaiting moderation it was a bit frustrating. Hopefully with this thread new members will know how to handle themselves in this scenario, and it will be less of a frustration for them.

I appreciate the quick response. Happy Thanksgiving to you, and to everyone else on this site.

P.S. You sound like you are insanely busy all of the time. I do not envy your schedule, lol...