Changing Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverHedgie

Hi everyone. Watson's old wheel sustained some damage (it still works but it could cause some harm to him but I've taped it up for now) so I bought him a new one. It's completely different from his old wheel and I'm worried he won't want to use it. Are my fears completely un based or is this a possibility? What can I do to ease the transition? Thanks for the help!

Completely different as in "was a bucket wheel and is now a flyer saucer" kind of difference? Or...?

Either way, I'd go ahead and put the new wheel in tonight and see what comes of it by morning. One night without a wheel (if he can't figure it out right away) is going to be okay. If you're really concerned, you can always put a few kibbles on the new wheel to help entice him to try it out.

Also curious: what happened to the old wheel?

Thanks! Ok, I will. :)

His old wheel had metal in it, and from poop, pee and regular washing, the metal rusted away. I taped over it so he couldn't hurt himself (thank goodness for duct tape because I couldn't just run out and buy him a new wheel) but I knew I had to replace it. Finally got one today and was just worried about him.

If it's the same design they don't really notice. We have 3 different types of bucket wheels and don't always give the same one to the same hedgehog.

I wonder if taping the bearings right from the start would prevent rust and not being rodents hedgies probably wouldn't bother it. We just carefully scrub our wheels with a sponge over the bathtub.

His old wheel was all metal, and, like I've said, it rusted. Watson's new wheel though is a plastic bucket wheel. Same idea, different design.

I put the new wheel in night before last and put some of his kibble and some chicken (his favourite treat) in it, just like smhufflepuff suggested. Next morning, it still look relatively untouched. However last night, he was running in the wheel with the treats! It was so funny to listen to! (Not watch because Watson is a lone wheeler and instantly freezes when you get to close or turn on a light). I took the treats out and he continued to run. Seems like he gets what it is now. :D

I had to change my hedgie's wheel at a point as well as her old one cracked. I too was worried about her turning her nose up at it as she was so particular lol. She did for a day, but then realized she liked it better and ran even more. :)
Glad yours worked out as well!

Back