Vette, January 1, 2006 to April 6, 2010

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Courtney

... and the Dynamic Duo!
At 7:30pm today, I helped Vette cross the Rainbow Bridge, where Hemi and Cuda were waiting for her.

Yesterday, she was fine... eating, drinking and walking steadily. She had developed a bit of arthritis in her hind legs that made walking a little awkward for her, but she still insisted on wheeling whenever she felt well enough to do so.

On my morning check, I noticed she was looking a little bit sleepy. It was a little chilly, so I bumped up the overall heat in the room and turned on her heating pad. By the time I left this morning, she was bopping around her cage, happy as a clam.

When I got home at 4:30pm, I noticed something very odd for her - she was sprawled out in the middle of her cage, breathing so lightly that I feared the worst. No, she was still alive, but I could tell her time was coming. When I picked her up, she didn't fight or hiss... but she began convulsing very slightly. It almost looked like she was going through the motions of annointing... over and over again. Her eyes were weepy, she was wheezing, her nose had white discharge from it and both ears were draining a yellow fluid. She was completely lethargic, and try as she might... her legs just wouldn't cooperate. Every so often, they would twitch wildly, as if she was having a muscle spasm.

I picked her up, without a single hiss... and just held her for about 2.5 hours. I told her that it was okay to go, and then I told her how happy I was to have known her. When she first came to me as a younger girl (a rescue), she was very timid and frightened of the world. Simply going near her was cause for commotion - hissing, popping, clicking, you name it... she did it. It took about 3 years, but eventually... she figured out I was okay, and accepted my presence. She would still hiss at me, but she would also take treats from me.

I cuddled her all evening, while she alternated between sleeping (she looked so tired and her eyes were so faraway...) and convulsing. I kept asking her to please go on her own, because I wasn't ready to make that decision for her.

At 7:00pm, I made the decision for her. I spoonfed her some of her favorite baby food and took her outside for a little bit. It was a little chilly, so I wrapped her in blankets and tucked her under my hoodie. Her little nose came alive! She sniffed wildly for about 10 minutes, before the effort became too much and she collapsed against my chest, heaving and convulsing. I took her inside, and let her say her goodbyes to the others. Chance and Nova (the new girl) didn't have much to say to her, but Kismet met her at the entrance to her bag and they rubbed faces for close to 5 minutes. I really, truly believe that they were saying their goodbyes.

Shortly after, my mom arrived and we made our way to the vet office. Once there, we took another half hour by ourselves to say goodbye to my huffy little princess and tell her all about the other hedgehogs that were waiting for her. I tried to be strong so my little Vette wouldn't be scared, but it was too much and I started bawling. Then my mom started crying as she kissed Vette's little face. For the first time in her life, Vette stretched her face toward each of us and nuzzled our cheeks. When the time came for her to be taken to the back, I gave her one last kiss and told her that I loved her, how proud I was of her and how very much I'd miss her. She chose that exact moment to let out the loudest squeak I've ever heard from her and quickly licked the tip of my nose.

They brought her back to me about 10 minutes later, completely relaxed and on her way across the Rainbow Bridge. Her eyes were clear and she looked like she was at peace... she wasn't in pain anymore. Every single one of her quills was laying flat against her back, and she looked as if she was just sleeping.

An eternal sleep for a well-deserving soul.

Rest in peace, my little huffy diva. You will be sorely missed, and your loss has left yet another hedgehog-shaped hole in my heart. Be mindful of Hemi and Cuda... and they'll show you the ropes.

My Dear Friend Courtney, I was away and did not know about little Vette. I am so sorry for your pain. But take pleasure in knowing that your babies are loved and given every comfort they could desire. No matter her behavior, Vette knew she was loved and loved and loved. And she still is now with her sister, Miss Hemi, and her brother, Cuda. I do believe Miss Hemi will take good care of her while at the same time letting her know that she, Miss Hemi, is of course the one in charge! I think the most amazing thing about you Courtney is that your babies are comforted until the very last second on this earth before you send them off onto their next journey. Rest well my friend. Bridgette

This absolutely made me tear up at work. I am so sorry for your loss. She knew she was loved, even if she didn't choose to show it until the very end. RIP now little Vette.

Back