Midwest Critter Nation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraucci

Hi everyone and happy thanksgiving to those who celebrate it!

I tried to search around here, but I just came up with kind of general support of Midwest Critter Nation (which is the same as Critter Nation right?) and that it's worth the price. I found specifically this cage on Petco http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...tion-double-unit-with-stand-small-animal-cage because I'm looking for a cage that's better quality than my Kaytee ferret one. I was on here asking about the Prevue I think it was called a while back, but then heard about the downside of the metal or whatever it's made of I forget, which is possible rusting. I can't quite figure out what the Midwest is made of and why exactly it's so much more than other cages. Also, my chin does a number on the plastic shelving, so that's why I'm trying to find something that can't be chewed. I had gotten a second Kaytee cage, but I'm not doing this a third time and every other year for 20 years because he wants to chew it lol. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Especially with potential Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals or other holiday deals around the corner. Thank you!

forgive me if i'm wrong, but i didn't see a specific question in your post, it seemed like you just wanted opinions on the Critter Nation. So here goes! First off, the Critter Nation IS the same thing as the Midwest Critter Nation (Midwest is the brand/company name!). I have a Critter Nation and it's definitely a cage worth investing in. It's great for chins with a little bit of modification. It comes with metal ramps and big wide shelves, and plastic pans that go on the bottom and on the shelves. First off, your chins wont need the ramps at all (their feet could get caught in between the spokes) so get rid of those. Then, you'll either need to cover the plastic pans/shelves with fleece, OR get different pans made of metal to replace them. either is a good option. I replaced mine cuz I was too paranoid about them chewing the plastic. Bass equipment makes perfect pans exactly for this cage... i have ordered them many times and they are great. You can find links to it if you search the forum.

If you see it, the Ferret Nation is another cage that Midwest makes that is almost identical to the Critter Nation. I actually have one of each. they are the same size! the only difference is that the bars are vertical and wider spaced in the FN, and they are horizontal and closer spaced in the CN. sometimes the FN can be cheaper, so if thats an issue, there ya go. You've got two GREAT options for you.

dont hesistate to ask any more questions about either cage.

thank you! yes I realized after I didn't really say that's what I wanted, but I hoped you guys would assume that's what I was looking for, so thank you!! so does that mean it's essentially the same materials as a Kaytee? as in chew proof caging and plastic floors and ramps?

The Critter Nation is more expensive because it's better quality, the paint coating on the metal doesn't break down as easily, also the bars are much thicker and stronger then on a kaytee cage. The bars on the Ferret Nation are apparently stronger then on the Critter nation (I only have a FN), I think it has something to do with the weld points. So long as you keep it clean the cage will likely outlast your chinchilla, or at the very least last as long as it. Yes it is unfortunately plastic floor pans that sit on a wire bottom, but as said bass equipment makes pans specifically for the CN/FN cages, and the metal pans have higher sides then the shallow plastic ones so the mess is better contained. You can either get the shelf pans from them too, or get wood shelving and ledges. One of the biggest benefits I see with both the Critter Nation and the Ferret Nation is that the whole front of the cage opens, the front of the cage is doors, so you can easily get anywhere in the cage.

The Critter Nation is more expensive because it's better quality, the paint coating on the metal doesn't break down as easily, also the bars are much thicker and stronger then on a kaytee cage. The bars on the Ferret Nation are apparently stronger then on the Critter nation (I only have a FN), I think it has something to do with the weld points. So long as you keep it clean the cage will likely outlast your chinchilla, or at the very least last as long as it. Yes it is unfortunately plastic floor pans that sit on a wire bottom, but as said bass equipment makes pans specifically for the CN/FN cages, and the metal pans have higher sides then the shallow plastic ones so the mess is better contained. You can either get the shelf pans from them too, or get wood shelving and ledges. One of the biggest benefits I see with both the Critter Nation and the Ferret Nation is that the whole front of the cage opens, the front of the cage is doors, so you can easily get anywhere in the cage.

having one of each, i can say that the thickness of the bars themselves are the same. I've had weld points on each cage break, actually. maybe my chins are just crazy-bonkers and too bouncy! :rofl:

i think the difference is the direction of the bars. In the Critter Nation, the bars are horizontal, with a vertical bar every 6 inches or so. When you take a single wooden ledge and screw it onto ONLY horizontal bars, then your crazy chin jumps around and launches himself off the ledge, it puts pressure on the horizontal bars only. over time, it gets weaker and could bend. in the Ferret Nation, the majority of the bars are vertical and therefore the pressure is up and down. i'm hoping this makes sense..... when I put ledges in my CN cage, I make sure that the washers from the ledges are screwed around a vertical bar as well. it REALLY REALLY helps the ledge be more stable.

since i almost always have trouble adding my OWN pics on the forum, i cant give you pics of my own cages. but here's one i found online. not my pic, so i cant take credit: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6b/10/86/6b1086e695af124af3e5c9833c028dd0.jpg this is a Critter Nation cage. look at how the ledge is screwed onto only horizontal bars. this person seems to have rats in the cage, smaller than chins and probably doesnt have a problem with it. however, for a heavy bouncy chin, i would move this ledge over to the side a couple inches, so that the washer is tightened over a vertical bar as well, for the extra support. it really makes a significant difference. ESPECIALLY for heavier things like fleece tubes.

I got a critter nation back as a birthday present over a year and a half ago now. I did get the upgraded bass pans, and although they are expensive up front they are totally worth it! The cage is super easy to clean and since I use shavings and not fleece the taller pans really cut down on the mess around the cage. Also my chinchilla pair that passed away last year used to be horrible about throwing hay out of the cage, which I always had to clean up daily before I could vacuum and the smaller bars of the critter nation almost completely resolved that. There will always be a little mess that slips out. I also have a flying saucer wheel on the bars, with an active runner, and it seems to be holding just fine, but I'm not sure about heavier wheels.

Before this I had the feisty ferret cage, which was OK but I wouldn't recommend it. Before that I had a huge craigslist ferret cage, but it only had two tiny doors for cleaning. The fact the critter nation doors open all the way for cleaning is a HUGE bonus for me.

All in all I Love my critter nation! The only downside I've found to the tighter bars is that you can't really stick your finger in to pet the chinchilla.

Back