duct work?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chrisbradley6

just a little chin-crazy!
in lieu of a PVC pipe covering in fleece, what are some feelings about using (uncovered) ductwork as tubes in cages? i thought i saw it in someone's pictures in the Ferret Nation Club thread. it'd be a good option for cooling chins, like the chinchiller or granite slabs. just curious if theres a big reason not to use these.

link to picture of what I mean:
https://www.menards.com/main/heatin...32286166-c-14260.htm?tid=-9137255678509447968

I don't see any issue with using duct work as tubes, so long as it's plain steel not painted or anything. Also make sure that the seam is not where the chins are going to walk, so they don't get cut if the seam is sharp. The one you linked though is just a connector piece, so not very long.
I use a metal coffee tin with the bottom removed as a tube for my guys, just to give you another idea.

I've been thinking about doing this too. The woman who runs lychinchillas.com has some really lovely photos of her chins in galvanized steel ducts (I think she's a member here too, but I haven't seen her post lately!):
muff-hilarious-face-tube.jpg

I think as long as the ends are sanded down they should be ok! I like the idea of using a T-shaped one so a pair of them would have options and space to spread out...

yeah the one i linked to was just a short "connector" pipe because all the longer pieces weren't actually welded shut, and this piece was. i think it'd be a cool change of pace for their cages. i think i'm going to try it!

Back