First Time Chin Owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tricky

Hi all!

We just got our first chinchilla about a month ago when we heard of a chin owner that was sending theirs to the shelter due to allergies. Since then I've been on a crash course learn-a-thon of chin care. We knew little of chins but I've always wanted one since I am also nocturnal, averse to heat, and of Chilean descent.

His nickname is 'Truthless', and he is a white mutation of some sort. I was hoping to get some opinions on that. Also if there are any other Utah owners out there with supply tips I'd appreciate it.

He is downright spoiling us as he is amazingly tempered for a chin from what I understand. He was jumping on me by week one and since then has begun to play on my shoulders and allow me to remove him from the cage and handle him a bit without complaint. He is also a very behaved chewer and unusually quiet. He will click his teeth on occasion but I have only heard him bark once, almost inaudibly, and quietly squeak once directly into my ear.

I initially thought he was a Wilson White from pictures I've seen, but I recently saw a photo of an odd chin belonging to a mosiac breeder that looked just like him. Utah seems devoid of anything but hobby/accidental breeders so the odds of a mosiac seem a lot more likely. Wish I knew where he came from but we didn't know the owner and they didn't seem to be very informed.

20141123_011202.jpg

Welcome! Simply put, he is a white. All the terms for whites are mainly for genetic purposes and we really couldn't classify him without knowing his pedigree. So just calling him a white is the most accurate you can get. :))

Congrats on your new chin - he's just precious♥
Welcome to CnH :]

Welcome! Simply put, he is a white. All the terms for whites are mainly for genetic purposes and we really couldn't classify him without knowing his pedigree. So just calling him a white is the most accurate you can get. :))

White it is then, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Critter nation cage came this morning! Just need to do all the standard modifications and he'll be all set.

I own a charcoal, charbrown, black velvet, homo beige, violet (looks more grey), 2 hetero ebonys and 3 standards.

I highly doubt you have a charcoal and charbrown. Those are extremely rare here in the states (I'm not even sure any exist) and the few that exist are mainly over the pond in the UK. ;) You more than likely have an ebony and tan/brown velvet or variations of them.

Taken from RDZC Ranch's page:
The Charcoal is a true recessive ebony-like gene. While the charcoal was first developed here in the United States (mainly in California) it has since been bred deeply into what we know as the ebony mutation and no true strains of charcoal are known to exist in the U.S. today. There are a select few breeders in the UK that do still breed pure charcoals. For an in depth look at the background and genetics of the charcoal mutation please visit http://www.davidson-chinchillas.co.uk/pages/charcoal_chinchillas.php.
http://rdzcranch.webs.com/ChinchillaColorsPage.html

He is soo handsome! White chins are my fav <3
Congrats on your new fur baby & welcome to the forums!! :wave:

I highly doubt you have a charcoal and charbrown. Those are extremely rare here in the states (I'm not even sure any exist) and the few that exist are mainly over the pond in the UK. ;) You more than likely have an ebony and tan/brown velvet or variations of them.

Taken from RDZC Ranch's page:

http://rdzcranch.webs.com/ChinchillaColorsPage.html

Agreed, Im from the UK and even here they are quite rare.

Back