Fungus question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strong Chin

We recently noticed a bit of fur missing on one of our boys nose, it appears to be fungus.

I dabbed some blu kote on it and some Tinactin powder should be arriving this evening. We plan on putting some of this powder in his dust bath, as we've read you can do.

Any advice on fungus is appreciated, but my main question: he is housed with another male chin. Our back-up cage is not quite as up to snuff anymore as I thought. Is it necessary to separate them? If so I won't be able to for a couple days when I can get another cage. My second question: if it's ok for them to remain housed together, is it ok for the non-infected chin to take a bath with the Tinactin powder as well? It would be tricky to give them baths separately but we absolutely will if there's a risk. Would it be good for the non-infected chin to have the Tinactin powder in case he actually is infected and just hasn't shown signs yet?

Thank you!

I have had chins in the same cage not suffer from fungus when their cage mate does. In fact, I've never had a cage full of fungus. It's always been just one chin. It depends on the situation, as fungus can be from an immune system issue. Look to boost both of their immune systems. I always recommend Tanya's products at fuzzieskingdom.com. She is happy to recommend holistic ways to help chins stay healthy.

Thank you! Great to know! Do you think it's ok for the unaffected chin to take a bath with the Tinactin as well?

Yep. I know of many people who use it is a preventative.

Back