Rescue Chinny Health Issues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aBacardi

Hi everyone! This is my first post so please bare with me as it is a little long. I got my first chinchilla about two months ago after a lot of research. I moved out of my parents into my own place which could not have dogs or cats. I was so upset. I never thought I would love an animal as much as a dog. Then I met Pickles. I found pickles through a wonderful women who breeds/rescues chins. Pickles was one of her litters. Unfortunately for her he has a kinked tail and was not able to show. I adopted him when he was 10 months old. After a lot of reading I decided to adopt a second chin as he was used to having cagemates. They are currently in their introduction process (yes I’ve done my research). I adopted Poe. He was rescued from an abusive home. He had a very severe ear infection which she treated him for as soon as she rescued him. Unfortunately it was too late. He now has permanent damage. Poe has a lot of balance issues and frequently runs in circles. I’m just curious if anyone else has a similar situation. He’s super sweet and friendly so I’m just trying to give him the best home I can. He has his first vet appt next week. I’m hoping maybe they can do more for him. Does anyone have any tips? Attached is a picture of my sweet boy Pickles 😄

So happy to hear you adopted. I have been rescuing and fostering 50 Chinchillas and this last batch is a mess. One an older male 10+ years old is missing his ear and it is all deformed I can not look inside it he has an ear infection and I am bringing him to the vets in a few weeks. This old guy could be deaf I am not sure But I think he is in that ear. Other than that He gets around well for an old guy with problems.

I had 2 Chins with a missing back foot the one I adopted out got around just fine and did not let it bother him. The one I kept is elderly she does the best she can for her age. Anyone rescue Chin I had was blind in one eye and going blind in the other it did not bother him at all. This almost blind one would run in circles too. I adopted him out to a lady that was willing to work with him and his special needs.

Chinchillas are tough and adopt well. I am sure with the good care you give yours he will be fine and live out his life happy and healthy with you.

Last edited:
He’s such a happy little guy even though he was neglected. He loves to be pet and snuggle up on my lap. He goes to my vet tomorrow. I’m hoping they can help him but I have a feeling it has caused him permanent damage. He’s really enjoying all his new toys and chewing on everything. Will have a better idea tomorrow how well he will do with me 😀

Back