Checklist for letting my neighbor take over while I'm on vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phoeblie

Hi,

I'm letting my next door neighbor watch my chinchillas while I'm gone for 5 days. She's met the chinchillas a couple of times before. She has had guinea pigs before, so I think the basic concept of daily care is similar. I made a checklist for her, and I'm just wondering if I've missed or need to correct anything.

Morning:
Check food bowls. Dump out pellet bits or dried hay if needed, and refill.
Refill pellets to 1/3 of bowl, and 1 handful of hay.

Night:
Check food bowls. Dump out pellet bits or dried hay if needed, and refill.
Refill pellets to 1/3 of bowl, and 1 handful of hay.

Daily:
Let out to play for 45 minutes to an hour. (You can let them out multiple times a day. They're most active during dawn and dusk, that's the best time to let them out, but any time works.)(Bathroom is a good spot for playtime)
Change and fill water bowl
Sweep the poop off the ledges, into the pan.
Rearrange toys and house

(To bring them back in their cage, you can open the door and see if any jump in. If not, wear the striped gloves and scoop them up into the cage.)

Every 3 days:
Place 1 spoonful of dust in bath house.

They may bark. It's ok, and part of their way of communication. http://www.cheekychinchillas.com/chinsounds.html

Chin proofing: Take away anything you don't want chewed on. Place cardboard against the walls. Make all wires out of reach.

Heat: If room temp is above 75 degrees Fahrenheit, place chilled stone slabs on the cages ledges. If a chinchilla is lying down on it's side or stomach and/or it's ears are pinkish red, place it in the fridge or freezer for at least 7 seconds, up to a few minutes.

Humidity: Should be kept at 40-45 degrees.

Water: No water baths please! If a small part of a chinchilla gets wet, rub it dry with a cloth. If a big part gets wet, rub dry then blow dry with a hairdryer set on cool.

She also has 4 dogs... is there anything I should worry about that?

First of all when I've had people watch my chins I don't allow out of cage time, too many things can go wrong. It's one thing if an accident or escape happens when you are playing with them, but it just opens up whole what if, guilt, and possibly blame issues. 5 days is not that long of a time to have them stay in, they might be upset if they normally get daily play, but they will be safer.

I also don't really allow people to open the cage period, unless they have to, once again 5 days isn't that long. Even if they aren't normally cage bolters they might be when a stranger is caring for them. That is really up to you though, personally I would rather the chins stay safe in a slightly dirty cage then risk them escaping.

Temps above 75 you need more then just chilled stones, do you not have AC? Prolonged heat above 75F can cause brain damage or kill a chin. Also not all chins will even sit on the chilled stones so unless the whole cage floor is lined with them. They are more as an added cooling in an already cool room and not a replacement for proper temp. I am assuming you mean place the stone in the fridge or freezer? If not you might want to add that the door needs to stay open if you put a chin in there, but that is more for emergency cooling so they can survive until you get them into AC.
I would also change the humidity to it should be kept below 40-45% (50% really) they are fine with low humidity.

As to the dogs, is she taking the chins back to her house? If so I would make sure the dogs don't go anywhere near the chins. Since they aren't use to chins and the chins aren't use to them it can cause issues, even if the dogs are fine the chins might not be. Also dogs can carry bacteria in their saliva if they lick the cage or anything. Also they can carry stuff in from outside that might be toxic to chins. If she is caring for the chins at your house, just make sure she knows to wash her hands before handling the chins or their stuff.

They like their house cool (I had goosebumps the last time I was there)... So I'm not too concerned about the heat. It'll be even cooler when we go on vacation. It's currently 74 degrees Fahrenheit in our 3rd story and the temp drops pretty fast in the fall here. They have the A.C. on alot so again, I'm not too concerned.

I read somewhere here that if the chin is overheated, you should cool it down by placing it in the fridge. I included it in case of an emergency.

Last edited:
Back