Breeding Must Knows/Tips for Breeding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmccoll13

Hi all!

I'm currently curious about breeding and looking into the possibility of breeding in the future (at the earliest, once I am out of college, which won't be for 2 years yet but I feel that the more time I spend learning about this the better prepared I will be for if/when I decide to breed).

Is there anything imperative one must know before delving into breeding chinchillas?

So far my knowledge is really limited in that I should only breed pedigreed animals that I know the genetic history of, and that age and weight (at least in the case of the female) are important in ensuring their safety when breeding. (Knowing this I have no intentions of breeding my current two chinchillas at any point. They are companion animals only!) I also know when you breed you want to get the highest quality animal possible, which should always be the goal. With chinchillas you're breeding for an ideal coat, but I don't know much more than that. I have experience in judging horses so I understand basic concepts about the importance of judging animals and how certain aspects are vital to their looks/health/productivity/etc. but obviously chinchillas are not horses and thus are being bred for very different qualities.

As I mentioned, I have a lot of time to explore this possibility and learn as much as I can, which I fully intend to do before potentially trying my hand at breeding, but I would love to hear from some experienced breeders to possibly help me expand my currently very limited knowledge base!

Back