Chin Chewing on Silver Surfer

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

So my little PITA chinchilla that does everything you get warned about has started chewing her wheel. She has plenty of things to chew on but you know, she loves metal and to make me panic.

Poop/drink/food is normal.

lol yeah I got interrupted!

I was wondering if anyone knew of any health problems that could come of it? Or if theirs did the same.

Seriously, she is the reason chin warnings were invented for things.

my chins sometimes will chew on there metal wheel. But lightly and not for to long. I would assume that if they chew to hard they could fracture a tooth.

If you're noticing a LOT of larger GOUGES (and no sign chin is going to quit chewing) I would remove the wheel for fear of metal/paint ingestion in quantity. Chins can live w/o wheels provided they get proper exercise otherwise. While I'm sure this isn't the answer anyone paying for one of these wheels hopes for...it IS what's safest IMO

Ugh yeah, we were thinking of removing it. I was more interested to see if anyone else had this problem or if there is some way of distracting them. She's stopped for now but I'll keep an eye out if she starts doing it again.

She also intermittently chews on the bars of her cage.

My chins chewed theirs when I first put them in the cages, but the novelty seemed to have worn off after awhile and I haven't noticed them chewing the wheels anymore.

Back