Abscess-Graphic Photos!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godins Chinchillas

Godin's Chinchillas
Well I brought home one of my new standard girls home from the York show on Sunday and had noticed her not eating well since she's been here. Last night I took her out to take a peek over her to see why she wasn't eating and she had a large abscess that had ruptured just above her genitals. The tract extends to her abdominal wall and to her vagina. Her cone is non existant (thinking she chewed that off) although she is still able to urinate. My husband took her in last night, anesthetized her, clipped and debrided her wound and placed her on antibiotics and pain meds. He feels this developed before coming here and has real concerns about her urinary tract. He feels that with as much damage as there is her urinary tract may stricture down causing her to be obstructed or have chronic UTI. Here's praying for a quick recovery!! Poor girl.

She is eating an oat supplement and hay. Hopefully her attitude and hunger will pick up now that the abscess is open, on pain meds and antibiotics. She's got to feel somewhat better.

Before surgery
abscessbeforecleanup.jpg

After surgery
abscess.jpg

Oh that looks so awful!! Please keep us updated on her, poor little girl.

Not something I have come across before - poor girly that must have been very sore for her. :(

Fingers crossed for a raid and uneventful recovery - the tissue underneath looks nice and healthy so I will be interested to see/hear how it heals.

Good luck

Just got back from the vets. He gave her a poor prognosis. She underwent more surgery to remove more dead tissue. He decided to suture the hole up to see if that would help her from not knawing on it. Here's hoping she survives.

Jessica

I am so sorry to hear that...she will be in my thoughts.

This has been one heck of a week in the chinnie world. My herd and I send you and your girl best wishes and good luck!

I'm so sorry Jessica! I'll keep my fingers crossed she will be okay. I am still playing catch up with chores around the house and worn out from going to the show last weekend so I know that has to be a lot to deal with for you right now. I can't imagine.

No idea on how this happened. My thought is it happened before I got her that Sunday. She may have gotten poked by a wire. I really have no idea.

Her attitude is better. She is completely off feed but does very well to syringe feeding.

As far as her abscess goes. It's not draining pus anymore but it's not pretty either. It's going to be a very long haul for her I think. Her surgery was not a success. Her incision line broke down and their was more dead tissue. I hope she improves though

Jessica

Back