Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Behavior & Anatomy
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Behavior & Anatomy Anything to do with a chin's behavior or its anatomy - post it here!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:49 PM Belgium

Question Picking up a chin

Hello,
I have a 5 month old hetro beige chinchilla, and he is very social he loves to jump on my arms when I interact with him while he is in his cage but I haven't been able to pick him up on my own, and when he jumps on my arms I can't hold him because he jumps off when I try it and I cant let him sit on just my hands without holding him because he can jump of at a bad time and get hurt or escape. I really want to be able to pick him up for emergencies and to let him out for playtime, but I tried scooping him up but he jumps away then and I've tried to get him to get used to the feeling of a hand on his belly while petting him and he is okay when I pet his belly but when I try to pick him up like that so I can also support his bottom legs he makes a noice and jumps away. I am really clueless as what I can try because I do want to be able to pick him up if needed. Thank you in advance!
Old 01-09-2019, 10:16 PM Singapore

Might be too late to revive this post but I do feel that most chins prefer not to be picked up by human hands, however there are some that tolerates it better than others. I have 2 chins and one of them would never ever allow me to pick him or scoop him up. The other would still struggle but she isnít as afraid of it as the boy is, so I am able to scoop her up when I needed to.

If anyone has any tricks to help my boy tolerates me picking him up, that would be greatly appreciated 😬 he is friendly and enjoys petting and brushing, he would stay still while in his cage and Iíll brush him, but just wouldnít want to be held in our hands. During playtime I would leave a small carrier out at a corner with the lid opened, anytime he feels like heís had enough he would go into the carrier by himself and stay there.