30 easy steps to medicate a hedgehog.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

4 medicines into 1 squirmy hedgehog. Ummmmmm.

Step 1:prepare all medicines. The powder to stop the bleeding, the antibiotic, the pain medicine, the Mitake for immunity.

Step 2: Wait powder? Yunnan Baiyao, stops internal and external bleeding. "Apply a small amount to lesion in mouth." Yeah. Okay.

Step 3: Put on a Q-tip as instructed and wave it near his face. Really? Stick a Q-tip in his mouth? Really?

Step 4: Get strong armed and end up holding hedgehog backwards and upside down. How did that happen?

Step 5: "Or mix with water and give oral." Ok. Mix in a bottle cap a small pinch of powder and a couple of drops of water. Stir. Pull up into syringe. Clog syringe. Add more water. Now have .15ml of brown tinted water and air bubbles in syringe. Apply to hedgehog.

Step 6: Get about 3ml in Hedgehog before being strong armed and end up holding hedgehog backwards and upside down.

Step 7: Repeat Step 6.

Step 8: Give up. Put hedgehog back in house.

Step 9: Call vet. "Can I just sprinkle this on his food?" "Sure." Phew.

Step 10: Relax and watch TV.

Step 11: Realize there are still 3 more medicines to give.

Step 12: Get hedgehog back out of house.

Step 13: Hold hedgehog. Give medicine #1. Done. That was easy.

Step 14: Hold hedgehog. Grab escaping hedgehog. Hold hedgehog. Aim medicine. Get strong armed and end up holding hedgehog backwards and upside down.

Step 15: Repeat step 14.

Step 16: Hold hedgehog. Sneak attack. Ready! Push plunger! Hedgehog slap! Medicine all over the hedgehog.

Step 17: Prepare medicine #2 again.

Step 18: Repeat step 14.

Step 19: Success!!!!!!!

Step 20: Realize there is still one more to go.

Step 21: Try reasoning. "Just hold still for 3 seconds and it is done."

Step 22: Repeat step 14.

Step 23: Chase escaping hedgehog who somehow made across the room in 0.3 seconds.

Step 24: Repeat step 14

Step 25: "Are you sure you are sick???"

Step 26: Opportunity! Take it! Push the plunger! Success!

Step 27: Put hedgehog back in house.

Step 28: Collapse.

Step 29: Realize you have to do this again in about 10 hours, for 6 more days.

Step 30: Whimper.

Last edited:
Yup, sounds like you've got your bases pretty much covered there... though I'd like to add "observe hedgehog anoint with medication" and "experience hedgehog drool meds back out onto your fingers."

I love that strong arm technique they have. So adorably frustrating!

The horrible thing is, after a [given amount of time], you would give just about anything to be able to have that fight again. I hope that amount of time is a very long one for you and Quinn.

Back