The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats totally understandable, I am in your shoes.

Check out ebay for used ones too. ! My girls had that wheel until I could afford a chin spin as well. I think it is fine temporarily as long as its not being chewed.

Yeah, I have NEVER seen him chew it, so I'm not worried about that :)) and ebay is actually a really good idea for that, totally didn't think about that. I also wanted to see if I could potentially make a wheel like the chinspin by myself, but I don't think I have the tools/hardware to do it...oh well

The problem is how small they are in comparison to the chin's body. Makes their spine curve unnaturally the whole time they're running.

You can find some cheaper wheels on Ebay, although I'm not sure that they'd be as quiet as a Chin Spin.

Cage knobs

Has anyone had problems with the knobs for opening the doors cracking off? So we have had our chins for 2 days now, and the cage is new. I went to open the door last night (after 1 day of use), and the knob just broke off. As it has happened on a weekend, I haven't had an opportunity to call them to complain. Just curious if anyone else had this happen to them. It doesn't look like I would be able to screw it back on, as there are no threads on the cage door side. I do have some epoxy, but it would be a pain to keep the pin pushed in to let it harden.

I wish I could get a bigger photo for you to look at, but if I use my camera, it is HUGE, so I am taking it from the phone.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 119
Updated pictures of my ferret nation. I have it split in half.

Full cage shot
IMG_2244.jpg

Timber and Tristan's top of the cage
IMG_2245.jpg

Toby's bottom of the cage
IMG_2241.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone had problems with the knobs for opening the doors cracking off? So we have had our chins for 2 days now, and the cage is new. I went to open the door last night (after 1 day of use), and the knob just broke off. As it has happened on a weekend, I haven't had an opportunity to call them to complain. Just curious if anyone else had this happen to them. It doesn't look like I would be able to screw it back on, as there are no threads on the cage door side. I do have some epoxy, but it would be a pain to keep the pin pushed in to let it harden.

I wish I could get a bigger photo for you to look at, but if I use my camera, it is HUGE, so I am taking it from the phone.

I would definitely call and complain. I have a FN that's at least 10 years old and the knobs are just fine.

Finally posting pics of my FN 142. Gizmo has so far been on the top, and Roo on the bottom, however I decided to switch them to hopefully get Roo a little more socialization. Neither of them use their hammocks, so they've been converted to hay holders, which is working pretty well.

DSC01329.jpg

DSC01330.jpg

Glad to see someone else who isn't afraid to use pink fleece for boys, lol. My chins are all girls but my male guinea pigs have to suffer through having pink fleece.
;)

Glad to see someone else who isn't afraid to use pink fleece for boys, lol. My chins are all girls but my male guinea pigs have to suffer through having pink fleece.
;)

Well actually the Pink is Gizmo's half (female). I forgot to switch their name tags around. Not that either of them seem to care lol

Im confused about one little thing. Do you all just wash the liners like everyday or do alot of you have "potty trained" chins? Ive been trying to get my little guy to pee in his litter box and he just doesnt want to. Im getting a FN soon and im unsure about the liner. Would I just wash it everyday?

Im confused about one little thing. Do you all just wash the liners like everyday or do alot of you have "potty trained" chins? Ive been trying to get my little guy to pee in his litter box and he just doesnt want to. Im getting a FN soon and im unsure about the liner. Would I just wash it everyday?

I change out my liners every 2 days for clean ones, and vacuum them off nightly. Some of my chins use a litter pan but even the ones that do pee on their liner sometimes.

Ok thanks :)
My other thought was hopefully if i move the litter box into the new cage with him he'll be like YAY I know what that is ill go pee in it. Wishful thinking but ill keep dreaming

Hey, for those of you who have the peice of fleece wrapp around the bottom of the cage, how do you attach it? velcro?

Hey, for those of you who have the peice of fleece wrapp around the bottom of the cage, how do you attach it? velcro?

I tried velcro first, but little Miss 'Mo wanted none of that! She made it her mission in life to destroy it. So now I have a 'pillow case' made of fleece around the plastic tray, my fleece liner on top, and it is held down at the front corners with metal binder clips. The back corners have the hidey house or the granite stone on them, so she can't tear it up.

Unless you meant the fleece side guards--those I have attached with small binder clips. Easy on, easy off.

ok i have a critter nation, and i like it just fine, but angel just started chewing on the plastic! I went to lowes today and bought (kiln dried) pine and cut it to size and replaced the plastic liners with the pine. is this ok for me to do? i asked first to make sure it was kiln dried, but i noticed when i got home that its plywood, and i wasnt sure if its ok or not... any thoughts? Also, i noticed you guys make your own ledges and was hoping someone could direct me how to make them so i can attach them to the cage? i cant seem to figure out how to get the screws in there and attach? close up pictures or even better a step by step ledges for dummies kind of tutorial would be soooo helpful! Thanks so much guys, angel is a pampered chinny for sure because of you all!!!

If I understand what you mean, it won't work for long. The wood is going to absorb all the urine and water that drips over from the water bottle, etc. Wood is not a good base for a cage.

Bass equipment sells pans that fir the FN. Most people who buy the FN buy the metal pans and throw out the plastic ones. I'm sure you could do that with the CN as well.

put up our two new FN cages... excited to be part of the FN club! i love my cages, but now realize that i need more accessories for the furballs - open to any suggestions, preferably with a website of where to buy them :) i know this has probably been mentioned somewhere in this thread, but there's now 50 pages to read, which is a ton!
also wondering if anybody has made curtains for their storage area? i'm a bit wacky & prefer to not stare at all my chinnie supplies. thanks!!!

OK so I finally was able to order my FN. It should be here in a couple of buisness days. Yay the quad is going to have so much fun. List of things to do:

1. Order Chin Spin
2. Make more ledges
3. Make for fleecey goodness
4. Tell Man-child I bought another $200 cage.

OH well they deserve it.

Back