Not a very short introduction.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinyRainbowWaffle

Fleece liner enthusiast.
Salutations to all! I'm a newcomer to both chinchilla ownership and forums in general, so this is all a new experience for me. I received my first chinchilla from a friend who got a hold of two chins (female bonded pair) that lived in a local high school for a year or so. Unfortunately, we had to separate the two for a few weeks to get everything settled at my friend's home because they where a surprise acquisition, making it difficult for her to house two chins at her house for a bit. I took one home and quickly fell in love with chinchillas and just how goofy they can be. Cinders was wonderful in the time that I had her, but eventually had to give her back to her original adopter.
Shortly after, I found and adopted my current best friend, Silvermist (an overweight standard grey from Petsmart), off of Craigslist and mostly filled in the gap left by Cinders. However, after searching the web further, I found a lovely pair of female mosaics that needed to be rehomed, FN included, and could not pass up the opportunity. After an intense drive to and from with copious amounts of rain, hail, and electronic music I was happy to have the two newcomers home. (Tinkerbell and Periwinkle join the fray!)
So far the bonding process has been much slower, but after much research I understand that settling in to their new environment and bonding with a new person can take time, so patience is key here. I look forward to the day that we're great friends, and of course I want to learn more as time goes on.
Joining this forum gives me the opportunity to learn more about chin ownership in a variety of different areas and perspectives, which is always fun and amazing. Since I am greatly considering going into chinchilla rescue work, there is much for to learn about the ins and outs of chinchilla behavior and how to properly deal with it all. Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated!
(Yeesh, I feel like I'm back in my English class typing out essays, haha. I write too formally for my own good. Many thanks in advance for dealing with my "fancy-ness".)
-Lucian

Welcome Lucien, Silvermist, Tinkerbell, and Periwinkle! You can learn pretty much all you need to know here to get into the rescue business. One thing I would suggest right off the bat - get an experienced vet ready. Interview them and find out exactly how much chin knowledge they really have. You would be surprised by how many people show up at the vet, only to have the secretary say "I thought you said a chihuahua."

Excellent names for your new family members. Very creative. :)

My eyeballs and my brain applaud your well thought out post. Too much internet speak makes me crazy!

Back