Chinchilla mommy expecting questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hannah banana

I have a few questions regarding my expecting chinnie. This will be my first chin babies. I've done tons of research all year but there are still a few things I'm not sure about. One is, I don't know when she's due so I'm not sure when I should take all the ledges out and make it baby proof. The cage bars are small enough so it's pretty much ready other then all the ledges and hanging houses. And this past week she's been laying on her side a lot and quiet and keeps to herself. She also has been sleeping on the floor of her cage instead of on her ledges or houses. I read this is a sign on pregnancy but when should I approximately expect babies? The wait is killing me! :)

There is no way to know exactly. Even if you saw them mating, it still doesn't mean that conception took place. I would just remove the ledges now. Regardless of whether she has kits yet, she could fall from a ramp or a ledge and hurt herself or the kits in utero. Make sure the cage is baby proof and then just wait. I always tell people when you see them, you see them.

I always keep females in baby proof/safe cages. There is no way to know when to expect kits until you see them. Laying on her side is a good sign she is pregnant but won't tell you how far along she is. I would remove the male now so she won't accidentally breed back once she does have her kits.

Yes. Poppa was separated a while ago. Her attitude towards me has also changed. Before she would never let me touch her, now she lets me gently scratch her chin while she nibbles on my fingers. I like my new "Penelope". Lol.. Anyways, thanks for the info everyone. Guess I'll be taking everything out. Hopefully she doesn't do what everyone did when we moved several weeks ago. I took everything out of their cage the day before we moved and everyone acted so stressed, climbed the walls, and I thought they were going to hurt themselves. I wonder if that ever happened with anyone else's furries....

Ive only had chin babies once so I am going off that experience. Lola was sweet as pie while pregnant, loved attention so much. Now 6 months later shes nice but not sweet like she was so I think that could be a sign of pregnancy. Also as much as I obssessed over when/if I should take the ledges and things out- I missed the mark anyway so I took everything out when Lola was done giving birth and was settled with the babies, she was busy so she didnt even notice:) I hope all goes well! :thumbsup:

The cage should be short (not tall) since kits can climb the bar shortly after birth. You dont want them to be able to fall and hurt them selves. Normal breeding cages are 18 inches tall or smaller.

Females often release a "plug" sort of thing right before they give birth. If you use newspaper it could be pretty obvious, but if you use bedding you probably won't see it.. :)

Back