Problems at playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewChin2018

Hi everyone,

I am a first time chinchilla owner. I have two females, one friendly and outgoing, and the other much more shy and timid. I've had them for two weeks now and the friendlier chin will come when called and let me pat her. She still won't let me pick her up but I feel like I'm making good progress with her.

The problem is with the more timid chinchilla. After playtime when I try to get her back in the cage she will hide and run away and I spend a half hour chasing her. She's clearly still afraid of me and I feel like I'm doing more damage than good by giving her playtime. Should I stop letting her out of the cage until she warms up to me more? If not, how long do you guys think it will take her to warm up to me?

Thanks for your help, everyone!

I'd say probably let her get used to your hand being flat in her cage first, and she might surprise you and eventually approach you! I use a dried rosehip- only one- in my hand, and I keep my hand very flat and still in the cage, and talk softly. Chinchillas are so curious by nature, usually they can't resist but to see what treat you have. But, beforehand, you might want to get the other chin out to play or something so that this little gal has time to one on one bond with you and not have to "compete" or be scared by the other chin's swift movements while your hand is in her cage. I have a very similar situation with my two males. One seems to LOVE people, and the other prefers to receive rare chin rubs and the occasional treat, but that's it! He's very used to us and he likes his play time and it's very easy to get him back into his cage, though, so I know he's happy. His way of showing affection is very different from our friendly chin, too. He will simply walk up to a still hand and nibble and "groom" it- while we don't interfere with his fur. He hates his fur being ruffled. Something to keep in mind, also, is where the chinchilla came from and maybe past traumas that have nothing to do with you. This could be the case! I say let her fully adjust to her home- it may take longer if she's had any scares in the past- then give her play time. But, I'd continue to let the other have play time, and if the timid gal sees the other one playing and returning to the cage in a peaceful manner, she might eventually pick up on that behavior.

So the timid one will approach me no problem when I put my hand in the cage. I give them treats once a day and they both come running when I open the door.

You make a good point about her getting spooked by the other one though. She'll frequently get startled by the other chin banging around and I feel like she blames it on me.

Back