Baytril and Stasis?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebonyyoung1

Hello, on 12/21 I took my chinchilla (Falcor) to the vet because she was having soft stool and it smelled sour when it dried. She did not have any parasites but she did have a little bit of bad bacteria so the vet had prescribed her .4ml of Baytril every 12 hours for 10 days. I was giving her the Baytril plus giving her probiotic 2-3 hours after. Her poop did become smaller and harder but she was still eating and drinking then about the last two days of her medication, which was about 12/29, I noticed she only ate if I hand fed her and she stopped drinking water. So I started syringing her water and feeding her CC. I was never told by the vet that I needed to give her CC during her Baytril treatment, but I also blame myself because I should of done my research first. Well I started to give her CC and infant gas drops based on the info on this forum, which helped and she started pooping some off and on. She is still very active and the gas drops helped her out so much. I called my vet and the soonest she could see her was 1/4. Needless to say, when I took her in, the vet was furious at me for following her directions. She lost too much weight. I was advised to take her pellets away and feed her hay, water, and the antibiotic dosage only. She got an x-ray done and no blockage but obviously she has stasis. I was given Metoclopramide to be administered 3 times a day and Meloxicam once a day and Baytril again for another 10 days twice a day. She did not run a poop test to see if she had an infection so I'm a little apprehensive on giving her Baytril again because from reading the Sparky forum, I did not see where he was taking antibiotics and I read that Baytril can make her worse if she's already in stasis. Her stomach has went down a lot and she is not drinking on her own but I'm making sure she gets 30ml of water a day and 15-20ml of CC every feeding and I'm also taking her in today 1/5 for more fluid injections. I've noticed that shes eating hay on her own and I added some pellets to get her back on eating that and she's starting to poop a lot more now. I have been giving her tummy massages, warm compresses, and even though she has a big cage with a wheel, I bought her a playpen where she runs around and plays for about an hour and then goes into her kennel to sleep. I feel if I give her Baytril that its just going to stop her progress. I wanted to ask you guys what you think. I know we aren't vets but I like opinions from people who have experience with chinchillas. I'm sorry for the long post but I have been reading tons of threads here and I just wanted to get the whole story out.

My babygirl

After going to the vet every other day for a month, I have no choice but to let my babygirl go. I still remember when I first laid eyes on her. She was forced to stay in darkness for 23+ hours at a time with no social interaction, no chews, no hay, just a leaky water bottle and a bowl of pellets. When I first picked her up, she was so hot due to no air conditioning. I told her that I promise to take her out of that ugly place and give her the best life possible. We drove 5 hours and even had a laugh on how border patrol thought she was a rabbit. That same night I swear we played for hours. I discovered how much she loved watching movies and when I played music for her. She is my best friend. She came into my life when I was hurting the most due to a previous abusive relationship. I never knew I could love someone so much until I met her. She just made life so much better. She was there for me when I lost my dad. It’s like she knew I was hurting inside. She would spin and shuffle around to make me laugh. When I had no one to talk to she was there, upfront listening to me talk. I know in time things will get better but I feel like I’m losing a child. My heart is hurting so bad for her but I don’t want her to be in pain anymore. I will always love you Falcor. You will be stardust soon and I will never forget the joy you brought into my life.

Back