When's the best time to adopt a chin from a breeder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewToChins

What's the best time to adopt a chinchilla from a breeder in terms of bonding? I'd like to buy a kit and I check my local craigslist and breeder sites daily, but it's hard to tell what's best. Any suggestions?

Bonding with a chin has nothing to do with age. People buy kits because they think they are cuter, but they can be a whole lot more hassle. You can't give them a wheel, they can only have very, very short out of cage time because they are too young, they can escape from cages because the bar spacing is too wide, they can have issues leaving the breeder with eating, and so on. The older chin that is sitting at the breeders because nobody wanted it is just as easy to bond with and 99% of the time a whole lot easier to take care of with less hassle and less worry.

That said, I won't let my chins go before they are three months old. I wean at 8 weeks, then keep them for a month to make sure that they are doing well. Not all breeders do that. Some will sell at six weeks (not in this lifetime), some at 8 (better, but will never happen here), and others prefer their chins a little older before they let them go.

Chins dont 'bond'. Kits to be honest are a pain. No treats, play time, wheels or large cages till they are over 6-7 months old. Thats the part most people want anyway. Considering the long life span (15-20 yrs) getting a young adult is normally what I recommend to new owners. Kits also go through a bratty phase when the hormones kick in and they can bite.

Where are you located? we might be able to help you find a reputable breeder in your area instead of buying from a byb off craigslist

I recently yook in a 19 year old rescue and she is a doll. Age doesn't matter with chins I find. As long as you have the time to bond on their terms!

Another thing about adopting an older chin is their personalities are more formed so you can get an idea if you're getting a more social chinchilla or a super shy one ect.

Both breeders I have talked to and bought from recommended getting chins at least eight months old, that way the chin is grown enough so you know what you are getting. Kits may be cute but they are more hassle.

Do you think the environment makes a difference? I can imagine with rehoming an adult pet chin, you'd have an idea what you were getting, or for breeders buying in an older animal from another herd to add to theirs. I'm finding Anna Maria to be quite the challenge, though, she's five and has gone from a breeding herd to a pet environment. Her breeder described her as calm, which she was for a week, but then, she was heavily pregnant as it turned out. I would describe her as my diva chin! She throws a strop whenever she doesn't get her own way, she just bit me yet again because she wanted to come out. She also doesn't seem to figure out unfamiliar things very easily, toys, we went through several water bottles before finding one she really got the hang of, her spatial awareness sometimes seems a bit off (she'll hover behind something rather than going round). I don't think she trusts me very much yet, either - oddly she'll come forward happily and confidently to sniff noses with my male chin through the bars despite that he doesn't seem to like her very much, she's more used to other chinchillas, perhaps. Babies are a pain but I've still found them far easier in comparison. In her case, I'm not sure it was that easy to get a clear idea of what her temperament would be like as a pet, because she's not used to that kind of environment.

Amphy sounds like she just has a diva personality. A chin that likes me may not like you. They are all vet distinct individuals. Be aware kits may be sweet now but when the hormones kick in they go through a bratty phase where some will bite.

Bond commonly means they like one or two people and won't like or accept others later in life. That's completely not true. Chins learn to be friendly and not afraid of certain things and that never stops regardless of age. It's a common misconception that you have to get a young chin so it will like you. It's more about the personality of the chin and how much time you are willing to invest than the age of the chinchilla.

Bond commonly means they like one or two people and won't like or accept others later in life. That's completely not true. Chins learn to be friendly and not afraid of certain things and that never stops regardless of age. It's a common misconception that you have to get a young chin so it will like you. It's more about the personality of the chin and how much time you are willing to invest than the age of the chinchilla.

Thank you Dreamlite for explaining. Helps me to learn more about these fascinating animals. :)

As breeders this is one we deal with all too often. The "baby buyer". The new "want to be owner" that has to have a chinchilla as young as possible :( I always try to explain that babies are SO unpredictable. That they require a TON of work and special consideration while an adult can be SO much more predictable.

And yes, I tend to agree w/Dreamlite that chinchillas in general do not form a bond with one or two people. They are very social, and have distinct personalities.

Back