2nd Hibernation attempt, not responding to heat

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerred

An suggestions?? I've a heating pad and he's wrapped in fleece, but he's just lying here. Last time he was more active pretty quick after heat. His room has been kept warmer too, at 24-26 degrees. His first attempt was at the beginning of the month. Thanks

Put him directly on your belly under your shirt. The heating pad may be too cool or too warm/hot.

In terms of long-term hibernation prevention, good that you bumped the temp a bit. Make sure that the cage isn't in any drafts. Watch the rise and fall of the temp over a 24-hour period. It's possibility that there's more variability than you think in the overnight or mid-day hours (ie, when people are not typically monitoring things) and the variability itself could trigger hibernation. Get hedgie's lighting on a timer to ensure that it's very consistent. Aim for about 14h of light a day. Ensure that the light is shining into the cage; ie, not just a lamp across the room from the cage or relying on daylight. Also consider the possibility of a previously undetected health condition that may be making hedgie more susceptible to hibernation. After you get him through this attempt and is stabilized, consider a check-up at the vet.

Hey, thanks again. He's fine today. Not sure why it took him longer to react last night. As for conditions, he's in a small room with a closed door and a space heater, so I'm pretty sure it's a constant temp. I'm only working 6 hours a day at the moment, and the thermometer doesn't change from morning to afternoon to evening to night. I can't control the light, cos the sun comes up about 5:15am and sets about 10:30. When it's darker earlier, there is a light over his cage, or I leave the overhead light on.

He's also lost weight again. He went to the vet about 3-4 weeks ago and she can't find anything wrong with him. She did gas him too. I'm not sure what to tell her at this point. I do have another question, but I'll post it in a separate thread since it's not really about this. These situations just really stress me out. :( I've bumped the temp again, and it's now sitting about 27. I have no problem leaving it there forever.

I understand why the situation is so stressful. It sounds like he's getting enough warmth... 26 should be a-okay with a bump to 27. Sounds like it's consistent heat that's not dipping. Any possibility that, with summer, it's actually getting into or above the 80's F (or 28/29/30's C) during the day; ie, too hot? Seems like he probably has enough light. I'll think a bit more on this one.

I've had a few hedgehogs that would attempt hibernation even with high room temperatures. They have ended up needing a heating pad under their bed as well as a warm room temperature.

Are you certain the temperatures aren't fluctuating? Some hedgehogs are, or become very temperature sensitive and a couple of degrees variance can trigger an attempt. There are digital thermometers that show the high and low temperature.

He may be sick with something that isn't obvious, even to a vet. Perhaps there is a tumour lurking somewhere, or some other health issue starting which is causing him to get cold even though the temperature is warm enough.

How much is he eating? Count kibble if necessary and keep track. What is his feces and urine like? What type of bedding do you use and is it easy to tell what his output is like.

My thoughts would be that either he has become more temperature sensitive, there has been some room temperature drops you are unaware of, or there is a health issue lurking.

The weather here has actually been pretty rainy all month, so I don't think it's getting too hot in his room. Yesterday/today are actually the first nice days we've had in weeks. He's also in a room that gets morning sun and stays cooler than the rest of the house, so I'm thinking temperature is pretty constant.

He's eating like normal. He gets a piece of cooked chicken and a mealie every day, as well as his 2 kibbles. One he eats a lot of, the other only a few pieces each day. I'm still trying to find a second food he likes, this being the second new one I've tried. But it's been switched out slowly over time and I don't try new foods often. Poop and urine seem normal from what I can tell, and he's been running too

His bedding is fleece liners I made way back when I got him. Laundry detergent hasn't changed either. He's been on them since he came home almost 5 years ago. He only poops and pees either on his wheel (cake walk wheel) or in his little box.

I just wish I knew what to tell the vet so she could figure out whats up with him.

At his age, and with everything being pretty much normal except for these random hibernation attempts, it may very well be age related. You can try putting a heating pad under his sleeping area. Provide another sleeping area away from the heating pad and see which he prefers. There are pet heating pads and depending on the type of cage, putting it underneath the floor of the cage will warm the floor but won't interfere with whatever type of bed he uses. I'd try the heating pad and see if he prefers the heated bed.
:)

Will do with the heating pad. I'm also going to try and get him another vet appointment, though he was there a month ago. I've been checking him every night, and he's pretty active when waking up, and he's been on his wheel, but he still doesn't feel warm. He's not cool or cold, but he sure doesn't feel as warm like he used to. I'm not sure what to tell her though (the vet) to see if there's something new she can find. Will find him a new pigloo too tomorrow to give him another sleeping area. He may be so used to his current one though that he doesn't use the new one. Thanks for the thoughts, and I'll see what else I can try

I'll toss this one out there on a lark: Marlee's CHE cut out (needed to replace the bulb), but she managed to stay quite toasty in her igloo that was placed in one of those inexpensive doughnut cat beds. She had a little blankie too. Perhaps, if he just needs a little boost, you might try popping his new igloo in one of those.

Certainly, that wouldn't help in diagnosing or resolving the underlying issue. But it may be a little something that could help him along the way.

I'll look into the cat bed too. He's currently on fleece liners with stuffing inside, and he's got a fleece blanket inside his pigloo too. He felt the same tonight, though he was much more stretched out inside his igloo, rather than curled in a ball. It was 30+ degrees today though outside, and not too much cooler in his room.

Maybe I missed it, but I don't see any where mentioned that he has actual heat in his cage. I saw mention of a room heater but that's it.
My girl LOVED her heater. I had one of the ones that stick to the underside of the cage and I got an adapter to control the temperature. She would lay flat on her belly with her legs splayed out soaking in the heat. I only had one hibernation attempt with her and it was when she got too into playing and fell asleep under her wheel on the opposite side of the cage from her heater. She came out of it quickly though.
So I would definitely try an actual heater for his cage... he may need more actual contact with the heat? Just MHO.

Back