HELP! my chinchilla is on his side

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avarie66

I have a chinchilla named merlin and he is about two years old. I have noticed 2 times now that my chin is going on his side and I don't really know why. I know chins can overheat but the temperature in his cage is always 67-70 degrees. It was 69 degrees when I saw him on his side and being a new chin owner I quickly rushed him over to the ac. From what I know 69-70 degrees is an ok temperature for chins and then i thought maybe he just likes sleeping on his side but then i touch him and he's warm. Please help i don't know what to do.

He is likely just sleeping, chins can sleep in all kinds of weird, and sometimes scary to the owner, ways. So long as he actually wakes up as soon as you touch him he is likely fine. Chins will also often lay on their side when they feel safe.

In terms of the temp, yes 70F is fine, so long as the humidity level isn't above 50%. If the humidity level is high the chin can still feel a bit hot.

Back