Broken leg, others who have gone through this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chinboys519

Erica
Hello fellow chin lovers. I’m writing to you here because I am at a loss right now with my chin Oliver. I am seeking opinions and knowledge, also stories of any other chins who have had a broken leg. Two weeks and one day ago, Oliver had an accident. His leg was dangling and upon discovery I rushed him to the only facility that would see exotics at 9pm on a Saturday. X-rays were taken. Bone was broken in two spots. I was sent home with anti inflammatory and antibiotic until he could see the exotic vet at this facility who wasn’t in until Wednesday. I kept him comfy. He ate on his own. That Wednesday they told me they want to save the leg. I thought great ! I was instructed to come back every day for a bandage change for Oliver. So I did. Then a week goes by. He ruled the leg can’t be saved and we must amputate. Now at this point I’m like ok whatever it is because he is getting very stressed and uncomfortable. Oliver has a heart murmur so vet did cardiogram and discovered heart disease. This makes surgery risky I understand. But now he’s not eating on his own barely. I feed him critical care & he started chewing his toes so I brought him back to emergency as he was bleeding. They gave him a cone and it made him immobile and miserable. They can’t do his surgery until Thursday I’m told and that’s if he can pass the clearance because they now want to do a chest X-ray of Oliver to look for fluid in the lungs which involves putting him under now for the second time. I’m so worried if he will make it to Thursday. His heavy breathing started upon injury. I think it’s stress. I’m so scared for the life of my Oliver. Its been over two weeks since the injury, 1500$ gone, and he’s still dragging around a broken limb. He’s uncomfortable. He’s tired. And I won’t put the cone on him I monitor him to make sure he won’t chew himself. Can someone tell me is this a normal time frame ? Oliver is 11. His brother misses him dearly and I’m sure Is as worried as I am. I just want him to be ok. Thank you to those who give feedback & take the time to read this novel of mine.

At this point you really only have two choices-euthanize now and end his pain/suffering or take the surgery with all of its risks. That being said many people have 3 legged chins and they are well and happy. If you do decide to go with the surgery you will have to be strong willed about him wearing the cone until it's healed. It only takes seconds for them to chew out sutures and cause more damage. Will have both of you in my prayers.

Back