What should I hand feed a newborn chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, so about 2 weeks ago I bought some chinchillas, a 4 month old baby, the mom and the dad. Today the mom of the 4 month old chin had a baby chinchilla! I didn't know she was pregnant! So my question is, what can I feed the baby chinchilla just in case the mom isn't producing milk? I can see the baby under her and it looks like it's sucking milk but I'm not 100% sure the mom actually has milk. If I could I would check the mom to see if she has milk but she is really aggressive. So could I hand feed the baby chinchilla, puppy formula? If not, what could I feed it? Also at how many weeks is it best to start interacting with the baby so that it's tame ( not going to rehome her, I'm going to keep her) Thanks in advanced:)
Also some of you may have seen the other thread that I did a couple weeks ago and I just wanted to let you know that I'm not talking about the pregnant chinchilla that I mentioned in that thread. Sadly she and another chin passed away on September 2nd of a heat stroke. I had left them in the house with the AC on but it stopped working and since I was gone for a couple hours I didn't know until I got home. 2 of my other chinchillas were also suffering from a heat stroke that day but fortunately they survived and are doing great!

Weigh the baby once a day at the same time and see if she's gaining. It can take a couple days for mom's milk to come in so be patient. If the baby is tiny, then you may need to step in but give it a day or two. You will need a gram scale. Nothing else will be accurate. It's a kitchen scale that does pounds or grams. Under the FAQ's there is an entire thread on how to hand feed and what to feed them, but hopefully you won't need it.

Give it a couple days to make sure mom is feeding before messing with the baby a whole lot, but obviously you will need to hold him/her to weigh once a day. Other than that though, give mom and dad time with the baby.

Weigh the baby once a day at the same time and see if she's gaining. It can take a couple days for mom's milk to come in so be patient. If the baby is tiny, then you may need to step in but give it a day or two. You will need a gram scale. Nothing else will be accurate. It's a kitchen scale that does pounds or grams. Under the FAQ's there is an entire thread on how to hand feed and what to feed them, but hopefully you won't need it.

Give it a couple days to make sure mom is feeding before messing with the baby a whole lot, but obviously you will need to hold him/her to weigh once a day. Other than that though, give mom and dad time with the baby.
Thank you for all the info!:)

Back