Getting a hedgehog and need some help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokioi

So I am getting a hedgehog in about a month, and while reading up on some things I had some questions I needed to ask:

I have a nine day vacation, I am driving and a taking a small pet like this should not be a problem. However, it is less than a month after I am getting the hedgehog and was wondering, is it the best idea is to take him along with me in a small, portable and temporary enclosure?
Second, I am living in a dorm room next year. Pretty large dorm with a separate living space though so no worries there. I do have to watch out for resident assistant room-checks twice a year. The RA's are pretty cool where I am living next year and I shouldn't have any problems but I want to be prepared. I am wondering how would my hedgehog react to his cage being covered with a blanket for a short amount of time? I plan on using a plastic storage been type enclosure so it wouldn't be hard to disguise but just want to be sure I won't scare it or something.
Thanks for any answers and I look forward to using this forum and once I get a hedgehog helping people out!

Something to consider: as awesome as hedgehogs are as pets, and as hard as it may be to think about not getting one, what would happen to your pet if someone at the dorm finds out you are keeping a pet (which I am assuming from your post is against the rules)? What would happen to the hedgehog if you got caught and had to get rid of him or her? Part of being a (potential) pet owner is doing what is best to protect your pet and keep them healthy and happy. It may be a better idea to enjoy the phase of life you're about to enter, and wait to get a hedgehog until you are living somewhere that allows you to have pets.

I agree with the post above. Also, are you able to keep your dorm room temperature warm enough for a hedgehog? Their temperature requirements may be a bit high for your comfort and may not be maintainable all of the time in a dorm.

Also, hedgies can be stinky creatures and you would have to be a fastidious cleaner or people will know that you have a pet.

As much as you want a hedgie, I would wait until your living circumstances allow you to have one.

Back