Sookie's foot looks infected

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Eek.. fatty liver disease can set in if she's not eating. I'll assume you have oral syringes since you've been medicating her. You can get the wet food version of her kibble, grind up her kibble in a coffee grinder and add water, or use turkey or chicken baby food until you get your hands on some hills a&d or carnivore care from the vet.
To feed, pull up food/water into the syringe, get hedgie and just give a wee little bit at a time so she doesn't choke. I usually pull some into the syringe and squirt it out a few times before getting hedgie so I know how hard to push... else hedgie gets squirted in the face when human screws it up. I aim for the cheek/side of mouth rather than straight back at their throats.
I'd start with a little water or pedialyte first. Never heard anyone recommend pickle juice... sounds a bit odd.
Give her as much as she'll take. If she's not taking much, just give her a little now, then a little more in maybe half an hour... repeat. If you're using a 1cc syringe, I like to see at least one of food and one of water an hour over ~3 hours. That amount isn't terribly scientific... you may find better amounts, but that little amount would at least give me hope that she's not completely dehydrated and has the potential to start eating/drinking on her own.
Put her food aand water close by.
She also might lick some food off your fingers. Texie liked to be hand fed meat covered peas taken out from a can of spots stew. So I'd try that too.
Anything to get food and water into her... You can smush a bit of food (wet food) on her lips with your fingers.
Does her belly feel warm to you?

If she's dehydrated, you may need to bring her to the vet to get fluids subq'ed.

I'm bringing her in tithe vet tomorrow right after work. At this poit she will take water via syringe and still loves her mealworms but she won't eat or drink on her own and I haven't seen fresh fecal matter in days. Her bottom looks swollen near her tail and she just falls to her side after a few seconds of walking. She's listless when not interacting with her and I goin her a few times just laying in a corner of her cage not even burrowed or sleeping. I'm freaked out. She was perfect a few days ago and now she looks like she's dying. I have her on pedialyte and have been giving her mealworms but I wish try the cardoons now too in the meantime.

I expect she won't make it through the night. The only thing I could do within my means was to give her meds the vet prescribed, feed her and give her water and hope for the best. Unfortunately her health declined rapidly since a few days ago. She cuddled with me for a while this evening, and now she's not moving, almost totally limp, breathing hard, and now persistent vomiting. I appreciate everyone's kindness an best advice through this sudden illness. The vet suspects some kind of internal bleeding since wen I took her in, she was extremely pale. That would also explain the dying appendages without evidence of hair or thread. Keep her in your thoughts. I hope I've made her as comfortable as possible.

I know you weren't expecting her to make it through the night, but is she still hanging in there?

Back