Chichilla and eye drops

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynz4

So my chinchilla has a problem with her eye and I now need to put drops in her left eye and I just wanted to know if anyone has a way to easily put the drops in her eye?? She is not a big fan of it and it takes awhile to put the drops in because she moves around a lot.

You can try wrapping her up like a burrito in a towel. That restrains them without hurting them.

i cant even put eye drops in my own eyes very well...
I probably wasted 3/4's of the eye drops on my chin. From me missing, him moving, him blinking, etc.

I cant imagine it being worse than me having to put drops in my dad's eyes. He's 6 foot seven and a muscley/bulky 350 pounds and he's a big baby. Imagine a big guy in a recliner, my mom holding his eye open and me with the dropper.
I've been having to do ointment into my chins eye- i hold him with one hand under his chest, ring finger between his front legs and hold him against my chest. I use my pointer and middle fingers to help pin his head against me and my pinky on the chest side to stabilize him. With my thumb I was able to pull down his bottom eye lid where i was supposed to put the ointment. I think you could do this and do the drop bottle with one hand instead of the q-tip with ointment like I did. (I think I typed that right- I'll have to double check when he gets meds tonight) My boy hates being picked up held, but when every part of him was firmly held and there was no give if he struggled he'd calm down. (but if he could kick one foot that gave him hope and he'd just fight) That way was easier for us than trying to wrap him- but it think it was a natural hold for me since I've helped out at a shelter restaining animals and my chin kicks badly enough we wouldn't have a lot of luck with wrapping. Just in case this way helps you too.

There is no easy way.

Is what I did with my chinchilla, is I fed her a treat every time I had to pick her up. It was only for like a week or two, but after the first week she was literally jumping into my arms. Though this didn't stop her from squirming it did make picking her up a lot easier.

Before I started giving my chin eye drops, I asked my vet if it was okay to give her two at once, which she said was okay. This was very important in the whole thing because there was a lot of times where I wasn't quite sure I got it in.

Really it was a lot of trail and error. I think I found in the end not getting the eye drop too close to the eye was key. Also make sure you have the eyedropper ready before you start.

Back