New Chin... water on fur and chewing cords

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmr1990

Scrat's slaves ;)
I have literally every cord covered but the little one got into it and nibbled at it. Didnt go thru it or anything and was not plugged in. Since shes new i dont know her normal eating habbits but im wondering if she'll die from it?

There seems like a drop of water somehow got on her forehead that dried. I dont know for sure. I hooe not. Will a drop of water cause her fur to rot?

I just dont know how to tell if shes ill or healthy I've had her two weeks and feel like a terrible owner. Makes me sad to think anything might happen to her
.:cry3:

If the cord was unplugged and it was only a little bit she should be fine, as it doesn't sound like she got shocked or actually ate a piece of it, chins LOVE to chew on cords though so make sure all of them in her reach and unplugged at the very least, removed out of her each if possible

The drop of water from my experience could've been from their water bottle, it will probably drip every now and again especially right after you hook it on the cage (mine does anyway) a little drop is fine, just keep an eye to make sure the fur doesn't get matted or anything.

As far as telling her health, you can buy a small kitchen scale and weigh her (every month or so i believe is good?) and just keep track of her weight and note any significant changes. Any extended noticeable decrease in food and water intake, squishy , small and or irregular poops, acting lethargic or like shes in pain are the usual signs of illness, but they're prey animals so they usually hide it as long as they can.

Feed her good quality hay-based pellets (no treats mixed in, I use Oxbow personally), good quality timothy, take it easy on treats (low fat and sugar, the occasional rose hip or shredded wheat is good) with lots of chinchilla safe chew toys and you'll be fine :)

Last edited:
One of mine managed to pull a cord through his cage and he chewed it nearly in half. He got a pretty good shock as well.

Luckily he was fine, it could have been much worse. They always find ways to get to things they shouldn't have, so definitely take more precautions!

I agree though, she should be okay. One drop of water shouldn't hurt. If I catch a drop on them I just wipe it off.

Back