Do you take apart your entire cage every time you travel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurenxx810

Hi! I'm a college student and I live about and hour and a half away from home (not that bad i don't think) and i have a two story feisty ferret cage and I drive a honda civic. does anyone else have any experience with this situation? Are most people able to transport the cage without completely taking it apart?

If you're talking about back and forth for school, I think it would just be easier to have two cages. We had cages for the boys at my mom's house when we lived 4 hours away. They stayed there and were collapsible so we could take them down when we weren't there with the chins. There's no way that I could have transported the FN's in my car unless I took them completely apart. It was much easier to put them on a moving truck in one piece.

I've always had a pickup or minivan to move my FN in one piece. I've seen the Honda Civics- a family member had a two door (i dont know if they come in four door?) Im not sure you could even split it in half and take it that way. I can't imagine it fitting without serious wear and tear on the seat and ceiling each time. If you, or family, can afford it a second cage sounds best. The time putting up and tearing down the cage will cut into studies or family time-and every second counts. There's a saying about college: Social life, grades, or sleep, pick two. Im not even sure you get the full two- I got grades and half sleep and ignoring the fact people outside of class existed (My degree would be Ecology and Organismal Biology with a pre-vet concentration, but I was forced to medically withdraw) Instead of spending tie with your family youd be spending however long putting the thing together (or trying to be Houdini to either get it to fit or trying to strap it to the top of the car).

my chins are in a FN and a CN. when i completely move, i take the cages apart just in half, and move each half. when i need to take the chins to a pet sitter for the weekend etc, i have a smaller transport cage that they stay in for the few days.

Back