Do chinchillas need fleece?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

Hi, so my chinchilla's cage currently has pine shavings on the base floor of the cage and then the shelves and ledges are either wood or fleece. I am purchasing a critter nation cage and I am planning on buying the bass equipment metal pans. But I'm not sure whether I should get the pans for the two shelves in the cage as well. If I don't get the shelf pans then I would just cover them with fleece as I know they are plastic and I don't want my chinchilla chewing them. I guess I am wondering if it matters whether my chinchilla has fleece or not in her cage. She will have plenty of wood ledges and some lava ledges as well to go along. I just wasn't sure if chinchillas prefer to not sit in bedding all day. thanks

Nope chins don't need fleece, it's just a bedding option and a convenient way to prevent chewing plastic pans.

On a side note though, my boys seem to love the fleece liners over having shavings, it probably feels nicer on their feet and more cozy to sleep on. You can make or buy a fleece bed, hammock, and/or tunnel for your chin if you want to get rid of the plastic shelves and are worried about it.

Thank you! She does have a fleece hammock and enjoys sleeping there! I think I will keep some fleece covered ledges as she seems to like those

Back