Chinchilla making weird noises

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktschopp

So I've had my chinchilla for a little over a month and she's around 2 years old. She's super social and friendly and I've never really heard her bark or make much noise. Well tonight I heard her making these strange noises, almost like a soft "honking"? She's been eating and pooping regularly so I think she's healthy I just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this. I think she's trying to get my attention because I usually do work/watch tv in the room that she's in in the evenings and I can tell she really wants to get out of the cage (even though she had playtime 2 hours ago :rolleyes2: )

Well chins do make all kinds of noises (though they definitely talk more if you have more then one) for different reasons, so it's hard to tell for sure what you are hearing without hearing it myself since people often describe noises differently. Here is a page that explains normal sounds chins make and has sound clips of some of them https://infolific.com/pets/chinchillas/chinchilla-sounds/.

My chinchilla Gandalf makes little grunts / honks all the time, and I've started to call this his "monkey noise" as it sounds somewhat similar to a monkey. He does it whenever he's happy and playful - he may be trying to contact other chins, or simply enjoying his playtime. I've never heard him make this sound unless he was perfectly content.

Chinchillas really do make a wide range of sounds and with varying personalities they aren't always consistent about what is normal for every chinchilla. Unless it seems like there is a respiratory problem altering the sounds they make or cagemates are noisy due to fighting I've found it's rarely anything to be concerned about.

The tendency of herbivores is to fall silent and avoid attention when upset or sick rather than make weird noises. Watching their behavior will often sort out faster if there is any distress behind an odd sound than guessing the reason for it without anything else to go on.

Yeah I think everything is okay because she’s still eating and pooping normally. I only hear her make the noise when she’s excited and jumping around her cage

Back