Chinchilla not wanting to go out in playtime? Is this normal?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwatkinss

Hi,

So I have two chinchillas, both female.

Lola - more stand off with people (doesn't care to be pet and is more jumpy)

and

Zoey - likes to have chin scratched and isn't very jumpy around people

I am a bit worried/confused about Zoey.... Lola loves to run around the classroom (I have a pen that I put around their cage and have a little step set up so she can come and go as she pleases). I normally let them have the option of going out once everyone has left, or if we are just reading or doing something very quiet.

Zoey on the other hand never wants to come out! If I do take her out (she will let me pick her up if she is in the cage) she just sits in a space under her cage and only moves about a bit, where Lola is running around everywhere. I also find that she hides a lot more than Lola. Lola prefers to sit on top of hides, while Zoey wants to go in them.

I am worried about Zoey not wanting to go out in playtime, is this normal? I just find it strange that she appears to be the less skittish one while in the cage but its polar opposite for when it comes to going outside of the cage, Zoey wont even try to go out and Lola goes in and out quite a bit.

Sorry if this is nothing to be worried about, I just want to make sure I am not missing any signs in case there is anything wrong with her!

It just sounds like personality differences to me. Just like some people are more adventurous then others and some feel safer in their home.

Do you put anything out for them to do outside the cage? Different chews, treats, or anything? If the cage is a good size it's not unusual for a chin to not feel the need to leave, they have food, water, shelter, and room to stretch their legs why leave.

Okay, that makes sense. I just wanted to make sure that she wasn’t depressed (if that’s possible?) or anything.

I put out a little wooden thing - it’s logs bound together that can be bent and their dust bath normally. But I will try adding more toys out next time for them.

Back