Diarrhea

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katelynm_

My hedgie Neville is about a year and a half and has not yet experienced any serious health problems that have required a vet. About 4 days ago, I moved which involved switching Neville's cage (the only difference is the size of the safe as it is set up the same and he has the same accessories), and taking Neville for about an hour drive in a carrying case. He's been I the car a few times before and has never enjoyed it. A while ago after travelling I noticed diarrhea in his cage, however it stopped a day or 2 later. This time it has not stopped yet after more than two days. I was not worried because his activity has been completely normal - he's been running, eating, and drinking and was very active when I had him out of his cage yesterday. I'm worried because it has yet to stop, however I also don't want to bring him in the car to the vet if this is just a longer episode of stress from travelling. Any suggestions?

Thanks

My first thought is that the diarrhea was a stress reaction... and that certainly fits the bill for the first day or so. But for it to continue, I'm a bit more worried that it's something else. Perhaps he picked up a "bug" during his travels.

In the extreme short term (ie, while you're calling to let the vet know what's going on), make sure he's hydrated. Give him water and try a bit of unseasoned pumpkin or baby food squash. The water will help stave off dehydration and pumpkin/squash tends to help firm up messy poops.

Get a small clean container - you could use something like a baby food jar that's emptied and run through your dishwasher - and scoop up his poop. Bring the poop into the vet and have them take a look for nasty little buggers like giardia and such.

Thanks! I went to get squash for him that day and by the time I came back to feed it to him he had gone a lot! I'm still keeping an eye on him but he seems completely back to normal!! Phew!

Back