Help! Mom has died and kits are 3 weeks old

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shard of god

I was given a mom chin who was not doing well... She was on a poor diet and I was told she was having occasional siezures. Turned out she was expecting. She gave birth to 3 kits but one didn't make it. This morning I found mom had died. The kits are three weeks old. Do I need to feed a milk replacer? If so what and how often?

This should help you with the information you need: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21.

Be very, very careful when feeding. Aspiration will kill them. It's easier starting when they are newborns because they come to know you as the bringer of foods. Older kits are going to struggle and fight. What you might be able to do (if you've seen them drink from a bottle) is hang a water bottle with formula in it. I prefer to hand feed so I know exactly how much each kit is eating, but it might be an idea to do both at the same time. You can't leave it hang for long and you'd have to be able to clean it thoroughly between each feeding, but it might at least help you to get food into them. Let it hang while you hand feed, but still continue to hand feed each kit (while it's hanging) until you are absolutely sure they are drinking from the bottle on their own and are gaining weight. I hope all that made sense!

Thanks for the info.... but... I need more help if possible

I live in the northwest corner of GA near the TN and AL lines (about an hour either way) You're right about 3 week olds not wanting to be hand fed. I have lots of experience hand feeding babies - I've raised both a rat and a squirrel. Both were just days old when I got them though and saw me as mom... These kits look at me and are just not interested! Do you know of anyone who has a lactating mom with kits of comparable age/size? They are a male and a female. One is cream and the other almost white. I really don't want to lose them too... PLZ HELP!

Back