How did you dispose of your dead animal(s)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did/would you dispose of your animal's dead body?

• Use vet services to dispose of it

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Bury them on my property

Votes: 109 62.6%
  • Cremate them and keep the ashes (or scatter them)

Votes: 44 25.3%
  • Bury them at a pet cemetery

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other- please explain

Votes: 12 6.9%

• Total voters
I will just like to make monument for my pet..... with pics and names... and remember forever.... or can keep ashes in cremation urns ... my pet likes yellow flower very much ...so there will some design which will be in yellow in color...

I've lost 2 cats - one was euthanized and went through communal cremation. The other passed away while we were out of state, one of our friends was checking in on the pets and found him. If I could go back in time, I would have asked for him to be taken to the vet for communal cremation; as it was, I didn't have much say in the matter and the cat ended up being bagged up and put in the river (and I can't believe I just admitted that).

Any fish I've had got flushed. Small animals (hamsters, gerbils, mice, rats) get put in a small box, taped up securely, and put in the trash. We've always rented and burying isn't an option. Soon we'll own a house and bury any pets. My husband is really attached to one of our cats, I'm not sure what will happen when he passes on, but probably be cremated and keep the ashes.

i've had pets pass away when i was younger - the rodents, rabbits, and snake we buried in the yard, and the cats and dogs were left with the vet to dispose of. i sure wish i could go back in time and have them cremated and brought home instead!

as for my current pets, i'll have Rhino cremated and kept in an urn with his favourite tube cover covering it, that way he will forever rest in his favourite fuzzy spot. my small fish that have passed away i usually flush, but a few were my daughter's favourites, so they got put in a container in the freezer and will be buried at my dad's house (i live in an apartment). my two bigger fish i have no idea what i will do yet, but it will probably be cremation and keep the ashes (i know, i'm odd to want to cremate my fish, but they are very special to me).

I buried my guinea pig when she passed away several years ago. However, since I know my chinchillas are going to live a long time I may cremate them because of how special they are. Not to say that the guinea pig I owned wasn't dear to me. I try not to think that far ahead though.

Growing up in Southern California, we had a house, but we rented it. So we were not allowed to bury anything and we didn't have the money to cremate either. We only had a few cats, rabbits, and hamsters that passed away, and we always had to put them in a box and throw them away. I guess I was never really close with those pets, so it didn't matter too much to me, but when Buddha goes, I don't know what I'll do :(

I always bury, never spent money on cremation and the idea of throwing an animal into a disgusting landfill fills me with horror. I only own small animals so even if I'm at an apartment I bury. Lost a guinea pig a few years ago, just waited for the sun to set and buried her really deeply in a flowerbed. Even if you rent a house its not like the owner will search around for unmarked graves.

If you bury dont wrap it in plastic, or a box either if its a spot that can be dug up, that preserves the body and it can be dug up by another critter. ;_; I lay down some flowers or grass if its in season as a grave liner and they get to become compost in nature. I even buried the still born kit from a few months ago in my Dad's garden.

first two dogs were cremated and ashes held onto in case we moved. fishies were flushed. other small animals (birds hermit crabs and that size) burried in the yard. then we had a dog put down young for neurological issues- i was out of the room and family there couldn't even deal with ashes so the vets took care of him. Stillborn puppy was burried in the yard, and I still look at that spot without fussing over Doozy. Um. thankfully weve got a bunch live and well. Looking back on all the illnesses and old ages that got the pets is sad. Thank God chinnies live a long time.

I also live out in the country, where coyotes are plentiful, so I had Tucker, Macy, and Rose all cremated and I kept their ashes. I didn't like the thought of something digging them up. Macy and Rose passed recently and since I'm remodeling and repairing things in the chin/degu room, I'm hoping I can get Daddy to building me a enclosed shelf I can set their ashes in once back in the chin room.

When my parents dog passed away at 13, my Dad built him a little wooden coffin and buried him. He has a little garden stone with his name and things on it and some flowers, plus landscape timber around it.

When I was very little, I recall my mom throwing them away with the garbage. This thought still makes me sad. During my preteen to teen years we rented our home, had a small patio and therefore not a whole lot of room.

So burying animals in flower pots became my ritual for the longest time. Generally I would put a bleeding heart plant in every pot that had a pet in it.

Now that I'm an adult, I have located a pet crematorium in Tualatin, Oregon that allows it's customers to do a "Witness" cremation (for an additional fee of course). So we do this now. There has been some (not very publicized) issues with some pet cremation places not exactly doing things correctly.

With a witness cremation I feel better knowing that my pet traveled there in a manner where they still had dignity, wasn't just tossed/crammed inside a box (which often time in most pet crematoriums they are just cremated in the box they are placed in), they give me the option of placing the pet inside the machine, closing the door, starting the machine, and then because I do a witness cremation..... I get to go sit in a private room that is beautifully decorated and comfy chairs (with my other pets if I bring them) and wait for the cremation to be over. They then give me the option of being there when they (or I) sweep out the machine, and finish the cremation process. Or watching through a window.

I had mine cremated and I thought the "finished product" would be a bag of powdered ash. When the person who dealt with the cremation showed it me "finished product", the bone shape of my chinchilla was still all there. I could see the head and the backbone... It's quite creepy actually :/ But I left everything intact and kept it in a closed box.

I had mine cremated and I thought the "finished product" would be a bag of powdered ash. When the person who dealt with the cremation showed it me "finished product", the bone shape of my chinchilla was still all there. I could see the head and the backbone... It's quite creepy actually :/ But I left everything intact and kept it in a closed box.

I'm so very sorry that you went through this. A few pet crematoriums do consider that to be cremation. But for the majority of them a powder-like consistency is considered to be the norm.

I could not bring myself to watch them sweep out the chamber until the last time we went (in November). It was honestly very hard to watch them complete the cremation process, as I did see our kitties skeleton before they swept the chamber. :cry3: I probably won't be out by the machine next time.

Its largely depended on the animal. Our 2 or 3 hamsters were buried in our yard although I think in my city, its actually illegal to bury animals on your property, and our yard is tiny so anything larger is sorta out of the question anyways. With the various guinea pigs and the budgie we've lost, I believe we've always used veterinary disposal services and have not asked for the ashes back.

Back