Poor hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valval93

I have just brought back my hedgie from the vet and doesn't want to eat and can't balance well they told me to give him vitamin E. Is there anything else I can do for him? And they said he had mange and mites..

Can't balance well makes me think of a few things rather quickly:
- He's not warm enough (I'd aim for around 76F). Feel his belly - if it's a little cool, he may be attempting hibernation. Let him snuggle on your belly under your shirt to get him to the right temp.
- He's dehydrated -- try syringe feeding him some water (be careful not to do more than a drop at a time, you don't want him choking) or wet baby food (like chicken or turkey)
- He's had some blood loss due to the mites/mange. You'll need to treat for the mites with topical Revolution that your vet can prescribe. Stay away from Ivomec/invermectin.
- Your vet may have given him some meds that are causing big side effects (like Ivomec/invermectin/"the shot" for mites). Give you vet a call and see what they say about it.

The vitamin E is topical, right? I can help with dry, flakey skin issues, but won't kill off the mites on its own.

In the meanwhile, looks like it's been a bit of time between when you posted and when I'm seeing your post... How's he doing today?

Tell me a bit more about him - how old is he, how long has be been with you, what his cage looks like and how you keep it warm, how much the temperature fluctuates in there, what kind of food do you feed him... And, of course, what's your little guy's name?

I'm sending you positive vibes.

Back