Bloated belly???

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elsa and Olaf

I just separated my baby kits. Put 2 males with dad and 1 female with mom. Was going to watch weight and temperament and give the boys to forever home tomorrow. Then wean baby girl. Noticed today that one boy had swollen belly, peed on us when holding. He is a nice chin, doesn't seem to be in pain. I put him with mom and let him nurse. He had been weaned for 5 days. Any advice?

Is he still gaining weight? Is his tummy always bloated or is it just at certain times? He could just get bloated when he need to pee. Try giving him some baby gas drops. If that doesn't help, you might need him checked by the vet. By the way, you should not give the babies away so soon after weaning. You need to keep them for a week or two to make sure that they are eating and drinking on their own. This little guy is why.

Thanks for the reply. I took him to the vet on Tuesday. Just really constipated. They gave him a shot and some meds. He hasn't gotten any better. Not gaining weight, staying about the same. Pooping when given belly rubs.

Try letting him run around for about 5 minutes several times a day. Sometimes, exercise can help get things moving. check his water bottle to see if it is working right.

Back