Chinchilla Rescue??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iheartchins

Hi, Ive been considering looking into what it takes to start a rescue. I have zero knowledge of where to start.
Does anyone know where I can find out more information or where I should begin?

Start with a good vet and a emergency fund. Find out base costs for exams and xrays.... You well want to have plenty of extra cages. Just assume the cages being sent along are not chin safe, which in most cases went be usable. Be sure to have a place to quarantine from any chins you may have now. And know your limits. If you can only handle say 5 chins, sick to that number. Getting in over your head is very stressful.

Dreamlite, Thank you for responding, Im looking for more of the legal side of rescuing. Someone mentioned to me recently that there is a limit of chinchillas you can have in your home, that never occured to me! Very scary thought that someone could knock on my door & possibly take my babies from me.
I did find out some info from the Humane society that Im looking into today, hopefully Ill get somewhere! Any ideas or advise helps, thanks again:)

Dreamlite, Thank you for responding, Im looking for more of the legal side of rescuing. Someone mentioned to me recently that there is a limit of chinchillas you can have in your home, that never occured to me! Very scary thought that someone could knock on my door & possibly take my babies from me.
I did find out some info from the Humane society that Im looking into today, hopefully Ill get somewhere! Any ideas or advise helps, thanks again:)

i guess it makes some sense that towns might have restrictions on numbers. Other wise you get the crazy old ladies with 80 cats, or the byb's with 100+ critters in piss poor condition. So i guess places might have limits for private citizens (tho i have no idea.) It could be different if your legally listed as a rescue business type place or something. Again, no real idea; just a thought.

If you do it privately and don't take donations and don't claim to be a rescue, there are no legalities that I am aware of. You individual town or state may have a limit as to the amount of animals you can have but normally that didn't apply to chins since they are still considered livestock in most laws

Dreamlite, Thanks! What you stated is exactly what I found out through code enforcement. That is everything I needed to know😁 I wish the laws were a little more clear, I kind of fall into a "grey" area I guess. Im just relieved that Im not doing anything wrong & no ones going to come knocking on my door.
They did say if Im breeding at all the circumstances change but I house my males/females seperate so Im in the clear! Yay:thumbsup:

Dreamlite, Thanks! What you stated is exactly what I found out through code enforcement. That is everything I needed to know😁 I wish the laws were a little more clear, I kind of fall into a "grey" area I guess. Im just relieved that Im not doing anything wrong & no ones going to come knocking on my door.
They did say if Im breeding at all the circumstances change but I house my males/females seperate so Im in the clear! Yay:thumbsup:

Back