New owner a little worried help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keiren

Hey guys We recently adopted two chins from a girl who was told to get rid of them by her father because he wanted a dog. anyway they are lovely girls very friendly and happy chins. we renamed them and baught them a new cage with plenty toys and chew stuff ( the cage they came in was really not in great condition but the girl clearly loved them.)

anyway luna the older girl 6yrs my partner has noticed a lil white in her eye randomly and is paranoid its not there consistantly just twice in 2 days iv watched her all day and night and it was only there very briefly, is this something we need to worry about ? iv got a not so great picture of it if anyone can help i will be much appreciative.

regards

keiren and aleks also luna the chin

Attachments

• lunas eye.jpg
    lunas eye.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 30
The picture is too dark for me to see anything, though I'm on my phone. Is it just the one eye? Is there a lot of wetness around the eye as well? It could be as simple as she got something in her eye that's irritating, or it could be upper respiratory or any number of things.
Make sure she's still eating well and not losing weight, watch for any other symptoms and if it continues I would get her a vet appointment. Better safe than sorry.

Hey sorry I never seen my post was approved. OK so a little more info.

Luna gets the white in her eye after she cleans her whiskers almost every time. I have taken her to a vet who prescribed eye drops you can imagine this was not fun as myself and luna were just starting to bond then I'm putting stuff in her eyes she's been pretty good about it to be honest. Anyway after day one she started sneezing and we panicked and phoned an emergency vet and went for a second visit to an exotic vet. She was more thorough and checked lungs teeth etc. Told us she seems fine it could be the very start of a uri infection and prescribed baytril. Luna ate this on a small cube of apple no problem sneezing stopped but after 4 days she stopped eating pellets. Her poops got small and infrequent questions second panic. Phoned vet again who told us to stop baytril and see if appetite improved. It did next day she ate everything. All this time she's been active jumping enjoying playtime and climbing all over us. But yesterday she started sneezing again I'm so worried iv no idea what's happening she seems totally happy but she has me worried sick.

Thanks in advance.

I would ask the vet for SMZ/TMP (sulfamethoxazole / trimethoprim) in place of the Baytril. It's not as harsh on their digestive system and should clear up an upper respiratory infection that is caught early enough. You should continue the drops as well.

thanks again

OK so I'm gonna speak to vet again when she calls me back thank you for the advice. I shall update when I know

Regards

Keiren

Hope all clears up with your little lassie. I've had more worry since becoming a chin parent than at any time in my life before. That said, I'd do it all again willingly. :thumbsup:

So I spoke to vet she told me to watch luna for a few days and see how the sneezing is anyway there was none at all yesterday so il keep watching. But I may be overly paranoid just incase I'm goin to change her dust etc any suggestions on a good dust for them in the UK.

Regards
keiren

So after watching her for a few days yesterday she sneezed once or twice no sneeze fits or anything today however a soon as vets close she started sneezing a bit again and I can't get her an app until Tuesday. Anyone know anything I can do to try and help ?

Thanks
keiren

Back