Is it a fur ring?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DekuChilla

Hey everyone, I had a question regarding my chinchilla and if it sounds like he has a fur ring. A little background on him... I got him from a store and within a week he stopped eating or playing or pooping. I brought him back and a couple weeks later he is happy eating active and pooping! knock on wood. Anyway I've had him for a week again now and I noticed just now that the tip of his penis is sticking out, a very little amount. He doesn't seem affected or bothered in any way and doesn't really "play" with that area at all. He's young so I don't think he's sexually active. Normally I would just pick him up and examine him but he is still not comfortable with even letting us try and hold him. So I'm just wondering, does it sound like he has a fur ring? or is this something normal ish? Thanks in advance!

It should not be sticking out, it's a sign of an issue, either pain or a hair ring. If it's sticking out it can get dry and chapped, leading to more issues. I would try to gently pull out the penis and inspect it for a hair ring, keep in mind it's long and you need to check the whole length. If you are unable to do that or aren't sure how you can take him to the vet to have them do it and show you how. Doing hair ring checks is a normal part of having a male chin, so it is something you need to learn how to do anyway if you don't already.

I've been doing more looking around. Is it possible that what I'm seeing is just his penile cone?

It is possible, without actually seeing it I can't be sure, but if you've never actually looked at the chin's privates then it's possible you just notice it now. It is always visible from birth so it's not something that just appears (even females have a cone) and there shouldn't be anything sticking out the end of it.

Back