Pyometra

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipandChipMom

Hi everyone

It’s been a long an emotional week!! My chin has been diagnosed with open Pyometra! She’s almost 10 years old and I’m very worried about her getting spayed. She currently is not a good candidate for surgery because she lost weight due to not feeling well.
I have been instructed to give antibiotics (enrofloxacin) pain meds (gabapentin) has drops (infant gas drops/Simethicone) fluids and assist feed for 2 weeks so she can gain weight.
Has anyone had experience with a Pyometra clearing up with antibiotics? Or has anyone had to spay their older chinchilla. My Chip is a fighter and isn’t one to give up easily, but it worries me to do surgery.
I’m also worried about waiting 2 weeks with this infection and the vet told me if the discharge stops then it’s a closed Pyometra and it’ll be time to worry. But could there be a chance if it stops that the infection goes away?
I trust my vet but I feel like if I don’t do all the research I can then I’m not being a good momma. My vet has her experiences but they deal with multiple exotics. At least on here everyone is a chin expert or have had plenty of experience with chinchillas.
Any advice or questions I should be asking my vet would be so appreciated!!
Thanks!

Hi im a new member. How is your chinchilla? been 2 years.
Mine Chin (11years old) is diagnosed with pyometra too. Still deciding whether to go for surgery. My chin is not tamed. She get stressed out easily by a normal vet visit, daily medications will make her get worn out by constant handling of her. She will have small and sticky poops after all these ordeals.

I am reluctant to do surgery because of above. How is she going to handle the post surgery and I can’t bear to touch her in that sense. She may crumble and die as chinchilla are so vulnerable. Cost is also really high and it may recur?? Will she suffer more?

What is your opinion as you been through any advice?

You can treat open pyometra with antibiotics, but it isn't always effective. Surgery is generally the way pyometra is handled. Was your chin diagnosed with open or closed pyometra? Closed, I would absolutely get the surgery done now. Open, you can try antibiotics but may still end up with surgery in the end.

My girl had open pyrometra at almost 13 in 2020. She had the spay surgery and stayed at the vet overnight. From what I understand, once they have it it tends to reoccur and that is why they recommend surgery, to avoid having to administer antibiotics each time it reappears.

Back