what type of cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth <3

I know there are a lot of post about this but i am way to confused now. My new hedgehog comes home tomorrow and i dont know what type of cage to use. I am going to sew liners as soon as i make the decision on the cage.
What i would like is if people would tell me what type of cage works best for them. I have a critter nation single level brand new, i have a 4x2 c&c cage with a cover but im worried her head will get stuck. She is full grown, almost three years old. I already have a cuddle sack and igloo and the california storm bucket wheel. Is there any other accessories i should get today before she comes home tomorrow? Im so nervous. She is going to be eating a mix of royal canine cat food and fromm family cat food :) i didnt get her meal worms yet because someone told me no treats for two weeks. Is this correct?

If she's full grown and had mealies before, I'd go ahead and let her have mealies.

In terms of cages, the "best" is really context specific. It depends on your circumstances and how you plan to regulate temperature.

For example, I started off with the plastic bottom, wire top "SuperPet" cages because that's what I had for my guinea pigs. I quickly moved into the Marchioro plastic bottom, wire top cages because they had the nice big doors on top that I could get a wheel in and out of without opening the entire top (I could just slide the ceramic heat emitters to the side while opening the top door to get out the wheel). Currently, I have a 2-level Ferret Nation cage (one hedgie in each level) which works great for getting wheels in and out, providing good romping space, and holding on to the ceramic heat emitters. I really like my Marchioros, but changed to the Ferret Nation so that I could get both cages on an inside wall of my house.

You may find that whatever you start off with is, indeed, the best for you and your hedgie. Or you may change. Either way, as long as you ensure that hedgie is safe (eg, hedgie cannot get out by him/herself, other animals cannot get in, hedgie is warm enough, there's enough ventilation without there being a draft, hedgie isn't climbing any bars, hedgie's head/feet/legs aren't going to get wedged in anywhere, etc...), then you've made a good choice.

Back