Troubles with Food Mixtures

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingBoris

Has anyone's vet mentioned that they prefer not to have a mixture? I currently have my hedgehog on a mixture of Eukanuba Lamb and Rice and Blue Wilderness High Protein. At a recent vet appointment, my vet informed me that mixing food doesn't work, as the hedgehog will pick and choose the tasty, unhealthy food, leaving the more nutritional food to the bottom of the cage/food dish. I have experienced this quite often with my hedgehog.

I haven't really had that issue. My mix usually contains 3 different kinds of high quality cat kibble (my max was 5 types at one point). Every so often, one of the three will fall out of favor and I'll replace it with something else. I try to aim for similar shapes/sizes and nutritional content in terms of fat/protein/calories so that I don't have "healthy, healthy, and junk food."

None of the vets I've seen have said to stay away from a mix.

I'd say - take a look at the ingredients & nutritional content of the two you have right now... what the first 5 ingredients are (in order), the fat & protein %'s, and the shape, size & consistency/hardness. It's quite likely that if there's a substantial difference between the two, that might contribute to one being favored over the other.

Satin, for example, loved things shaped like an X and hated things shaped like a puck. In contrast, Bella hates X's and will eat pucks.

Personally I would never feed eukanuba to any of my animals.

The only vet I have ever had tell me not to use the food I used was the same vet who swore up and down that science diet is the best thing available. Even though it's garbage. But that's how it works they get pairs by the company to recommend thier food and some vets will put money infront of health..

My Hedgie and cat get the same mix. It's a mix of Chicken soup for the cat lovers soul, Spots stew, blue buffalo, and solid gold.
I had replaced two other foods because they were the only things left in the bowl (two seperate times) and now no food is left. If the Hedgie doesn't like it change it.

Back